Grammar rules, OK!

By Anonymous - 21/09/2011 12:11 - United States

Today, my new boss lost his shit and flew into a ten minute rant against me about the "value of respect". He told me that if I wanted to stay in "his" company, I'd best start toeing the line. All this because I corrected his misuse of "your" and "you're" in one of his memos. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 103
You deserved it 9 385

Same thing different taste

Top comments

FYLDeep 25

Send him to FMyLife. We'll tear him a new asshole.

Your- A possesive which belongs to you You're- You are IT'S NOT THAT DIFFICULT

Comments

Your stupid OP, you shouldn've done that.

^^^^^^Looks like someone doesn't understand the joke. Lol

Thanks #63, I'm glad at least someone did :)

Lol #57 was correcting their grammar you Doofus. It's supposed to be "you're" not "your" :)

DUHHH. Read the FML, it was a joke. A pretty poor one, I'll admit, but still. I'd never mix up your and you're.

RockstarRN 10

You made him feel stupid and he's in charge, what'd you expect?

It's funny that you got in trouble for that when you used the word, "toeing." I believe if I was to tow a line, it'd be, "towing."

Not really. It is actually "toeing". http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/toe "The phrase toe the line, derived from an earlier sense ‘stand with one’s toes touching a line, as for a contest’, is sometimes misunderstood and written as tow the line. In the Oxford English Corpus around 15 per cent of the citations for the phrase are for the erroneous form."

Tfair85, you're an idiot. Look up the idiom. May you have no children, that the world might be spared your genetic legacy. Also, "if I WERE to..." Can you tie your own shoes?

Actually 22, I apologize. But, then again, tow the line is a more modern form of it.

Modern and popular but still wrong, son. Kind of like people using "you're" as a possessive, right? :D

No, it's not. It means a different thing altogether, such as physically pulling a rope, or something. I guess it could be considered a modern variant in the sense that "for all intensive purposes" is, but really it's still incorrect.

No shit, that's the entire point of what I'm saying. Congratulations.

Jimmy, I would like to recommend you to an anger management class. It's one thing to correct people, to even correct them twice. However, your way of doing it is rude and uncalled for. I hope you never become an English teacher.

I am, in fact, exactly that. In my class, if a student were to make an error like that, or misuse the subjunctive (as was attested above), he would have to rewrite the essay on a new topic. I would fail the student, but you can't hardly do that anymore.

That was in response to the now-gone comment "I hope you don't become an English teacher," but I think it stands equally well against "you're a butt."

My question is, why is the comment gone?

Someone started a hissy fit, and people fighting under my comments rapidly depletes my will to live, in the same way that listening to Carlos Mencia standup does.

jessesgirl14 16

61- wish I had the option to thumb up your comment, but since I can't... How about I give you a five star rating *****

I'm with 17 on this one. "Toe the line" implies thinking about crossing it. "Tow the line" implies ensuring compliance with the policies of said "line."

English grammar has really fallen apart, it's as if they'll add "omg" or "lol" to the dictionary... Oh wait.

It should be "if I WERE" not "if I was." And you tow a line but you toe the line. One is an action, the other is an idiom. One toes the line when one begins to obey the rules or behave in a manner others find acceptable, similar to 'falling in line.' When one 'tows a line' one is merely dragging a rope behind oneself. So to review, which makes more sense; the boss expects an employee to drag a rope behind him or the boss expects an employee to obey rules or behave in an acceptable manner? I post this knowing it is utterly useless based on the other posts here since we have already established that the majority feel that proper grammar, spelling and usage is unimportant and that there is something mentally wrong with the people who feel differently. If nothing else, this site has opened my eyes to the appalling lack of literacy in America and even worse, those with poor skills in this area do not even care.

I'm pretty sure it had more to do than just the two words...maybe u correcting him was his last straw of putting up with u.

Fyl that sux, can't believe that your boss is SUCH a dumbass...

jaredofmo 22

My bosses really don't know how to spell. "Your not allowed to drink soda products, milk, OJ, ECT..." What the heck is ECT??? I feel ya.

It all depends how the OP corrected their boss. If you did it in front of other people, then you're an idiot, for that is a waste of time and will not bring extra revenue to the business, being that it's a memo and by definition, corporate memos are internal and a client shouldn't be seeing them...now if you corrected the boss in a subtle manner, speaking to the boss aside privately and they still reacted that way, then your boss does not know how to value his/her human resources.

If you guys are such huge grammar Nazis stop bitching and become a teacher.

if it bothers you so much, stop bitching and shut your face. I mean, if you look at half the people on this site, you'll see people just don't WANT to learn, whether they have decent teachers or not...

afallingstar 22

Never be a grammar nazi to the person that controls your paycheck

Your on of those assholes that correct people's spelling all the time like I would have fired your ass so annoying

42, did you write "your" comment like that on purpose?

42 did you write without any commas, thus making your comment senseless on purpose?

42- Did you also forget to add periods at the end of each sentence?