Gamergating

By Anonymous - 13/03/2012 02:04 - United States

Today, my grandparents visited. My grandpa kept getting off the couch and walking around to "stretch his legs." He kept kicking out my computer's network cable and messing up my game, smirking each time he did it. When I complained, my mom told me to shut up and show some respect. FML
I agree, your life sucks 17 688
You deserved it 28 690

Same thing different taste

Top comments

you're mom is right, if your grandparents are visiting, you should be visiting with them not playing a freakin computer game

Comments

Just because people are old doesn't automatically mean you should respect them. Some old people are just jerks.

And that's when I would have held the wire up to trip him. Or had it that it pulled the computer off and crashed on him.

I would shut the computer and go get something to drink. then id find an excuse to walk past him with it, "trip", and spill it on him. I usually wouldn't call for something this harsh for a grandpa, but this guy sounds like a douche.

My grandfather is abusive most of the time, so I don't agree with a lot of the "Show your elders respect" automatically thing. They need to earn it.

They put up with YEARS of whining, screaming, crying, childish behavior from... well... children! They most likely helped YOURS raise YOU when THEY were little. So no. They do not need to earn your respect. A little brat like you WOULD say something like that. They DESERVE the right to DEMAND respect.

Spoken like a true asshole grandparent! putting up with kids doesn't earn respect. Nobody HAS to have kids, so just choosing to have them anyways isn't getting you any respect. It's like choosing to drive an extra 20 miles on a 5 mile trip for no reason. People need to earn respect. Nobody, and I do mean nobody, has the right to demand it, and if they do demand it they will be getting even less. Do keep in mind though that there is a difference between respect and thankfulness/kindness. I'm thankful to people who are part of the army for the service they do. I'm (usually) kind to everyone. But my respect is something different entirely. I don't care who you are, if you are a racist asshole you aren't getting any of my respect.

This is something my papa do to me to irk me like he calls me Emmy lue because my names Emily

FarscapeSDC 9

I have several points to make 1) being old does not entitle you to respect. 70 years of not getting hit by a bus does not make you more worthy of respect than anyone else. If you haven't done something which I would consider interesting (Becoming a scientist, doctor etc) then you aren't getting my respect. 2) stop letting old people get away with practically whatever they want just because they're old. They don't like it when we interrupt them and their activities, so why should they get away with disrupting our computer games. (e.g. my grandmother repeatedly rearranges my room and loses my stuff, when I complain, I get the traditional "Respect your elders because they know best" rhetoric.) 3) Do not believe that old people have this great expanse of life experience and knowledge. They led boring lives, with boring experiences, and now they demand that we listen to them and take their bad advice, because it makes them feel like they didn't waste their lives. 4) Things were NOT better in the old days, they were worse; much, much worse. So whenever old people say "Things were much better in my day", you should respond by quoting life expectancies and standards of living. (An example of how old people react to this. I was once speaking to my grandmother when she said that the 1950's were better because everyone had better manners. I responded by saying "Well what about the last 60 years of science, medicine and technology?" she replied "Oh bugger 'science, medicine and technology', good manners are what really matters") I apologise for the excessive length of my comment (Rant), but these points needed to be made.

bitter much? Its still the OPs grandparents visiting, so screw the respect your elders bit... how about respect your family. and you have it backwards, you should respect people until they do something negative to you. Otherwise, you're just being stand-offish to EVERYONE because they haven't earned your respect yet

catanita 18

That is why wireless was invented !?!

brittyed 11

You deserved it 100%. Spend some time with your grandparents! A game can wait.