Friend's best friend

By some friend - 04/03/2021 15:30 - United States

Today, my "best friend" of over 15 years has decided to cut me out of her life. She asked me to loan her $7k to get a surgery for her 14 year-old dog. When I told her it would be far crueler to prolong the poor thing’s life, she called me a heartless bitch and refuses to ever speak to me again. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 881
You deserved it 402

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Sady_Ct 37

My pets are pet of my family, like my child. I still wouldn’t spend 7k on a 14 yr old dog, I would let her go peacefully.

Jon Tessler 14

my 3 pets are most certainly "family". when you get pets, you are responsible for their health and well-being just like you would be for a child. her answer was cold and callous, as was yours.

Comments

Yeah ydi if that was your wording. All you had to say was you couldn't afford that loan, not insult her love for her pet. Give her time, maybe, and she may talk again. It hurts to hear the truth, even when they don't want to believe it.

I agree, but sometimes people really need to hear the truth when it comes to dogs as well. I hope the OP didn’t phrase it that way

You tried to logic your way out of an emotional problem, that rarely works.

My worry was that it was worded that way, not in a nicer way out of concern for the pets health. Look, I haven't owned pets since I was a teen but my MIL lives on a farm and my aunts own cats and dogs galore. Aunts are extremely emotional and I wouldn't dare say what you said. My MIL though, would understand completely and can let go if needed. And I agree with the other, you can't use reasoning with someone who's emotional. They wont listen, unfortunately.

Your friend is an emotional fool. Pets are not really children or family members. Sometimes you have to make difficult decisions when a pet requires treatment you cannot afford. It’s easier for her to blame you for not loaning her thousands of dollars than to face the facts you pointed out to her. So she blames you. And she’s emotionally blackmailing you. Don’t give in, this won’t be the last time she does that if you give in to it. It would have been more diplomatic to say you didn’t have the money...

Sady_Ct 37

My pets are pet of my family, like my child. I still wouldn’t spend 7k on a 14 yr old dog, I would let her go peacefully.

Jon Tessler 14

my 3 pets are most certainly "family". when you get pets, you are responsible for their health and well-being just like you would be for a child. her answer was cold and callous, as was yours.

No, it is not. It is a normal and reasonable answer. Putting an old pet in for a heavy surgery like that not only has only a very small chance of success at all, you're also running the risk of injuring (or worse) the pet even more. This is no different for humans too. There are plenty of operations they won't do on elderly people, not because they like to see old people suffer, but because it's pointless and they stand a big chance of not surviving it.

That's where you are wrong bud. My dogs and cats are my kids. They are my family. Now I would say that the friend asking another friend for 7 thousand to keep their family member alive when it would cause them so most likely suffer more, yes that's cruel. Just like I think it is cruel to do that to humans.

ojoRojo 27

She clearly wasn’t ready to hear that, even if it was true...but expecting you to pay $7,000 for HER dog? Even if she planned to pay you back, that is a looot of money to ask of a friend. My dog had to have a $5,000 surgery once and we did create a GoFundMe for it, but we didn’t expect anyone to give a particular amount.

at the end of the day. you were right. get bestie that see your point of view

Warp1978 15

Your right not to giver her the cash as animals that old often don't survive the surgery. Sorry she didn't see that.