Freeloadin' freewheelin'

By Anonymous - 26/02/2022 04:00

Today, my screw-up brother turned up at my house, expecting to move in rent free. Apparently, mom kicked him out and sent him to me. He's a freeloading demon, who's almost impossible to get rid of, so I told him to get lost and locked my door. Now my mom calls every 5 minutes to call me a selfish asshole. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 122
You deserved it 89

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Don't let your mom guilt trip you. If she won't stop calling, block her number. If your brother won't leave, trespass him and call the cops. Since your mom technically illegally evicted him, the cops may just take him back to her.

wysegirl 24

She's the parent not you. throw it back on her.

Comments

Don't let your mom guilt trip you. If she won't stop calling, block her number. If your brother won't leave, trespass him and call the cops. Since your mom technically illegally evicted him, the cops may just take him back to her.

Let your brother live with you. After he signs a formal lease, agrees to pay rent or be evicted if he fails.

Salti_Kiku229 8

Idk what makes you think that’ll work but your dumb

My dumb what? It's not really a harmful sting being called dumb by someone who doesn't know "your" from "you're." Of course it will work. You'll appear to be giving your brother a chance, and get rid of him when he inevitably fails.

Except getting rid of him will be a legal nightmare in itself. If you think it's a great idea, promise OP you'll pay for food, utilities and cleaning services when the brother trashes the place, empties the fridge, and runs up the water/power/Internet usage. THEN, you can also pay the legal fees when Bad Bro defaults on the rent, claims tenant's rights, and lengthens his stay for another 2-3 MONTHS while the courts get involved to legally evict him. I'm sure OP will take Zelle or Paypal.

arioch_fml 20

Start calling her every 2-3 minutes calling her a selfish asshole, assuming you don't mind burning bridges. I'd say her kicking him out is worse than you not letting him stay with you anyways.

wysegirl 24

She's the parent not you. throw it back on her.

Personally I'd help my Bro no questions asked, but your life/house you're choice. Sounds like you're in a privileged position to give aid to your kin, what you do with that privilege says a lot. So what do you want to say?

rotflqtms_ 21

Each family is different. In order to convince my brother to move with us from a big city to a house I bought in the south, I told him he can live rent free, and I intend to allow him to do so. When I was in college, he and my mom didn't require me to pay rent and all I did was pay the TV & internet bills. I don't want us all to leave him there alone because the city is super expensive. My uncle will take over rent for the place we're leaving in the city and I'm hoping my brother doesn't ask him if he can stay and they split the rent... either way, here's to hoping he decides to leave renting in the big city and move to a large house with no rent and free living. His expenses would go up splitting things in half with my uncle.