Deadlines whoosh by

By Anonymous - 27/11/2022 12:00 - Slovenia - Destrnik

Today, I have to show my boss daily reports on my work over the last three months. She told me this yesterday. They're mandatory, but nobody has ever wanted to see them in the three years I've been working here, so I have long since stopped doing them. It's now 3 am, I start work at 7.30, and I'm not even close to done. FML
I agree, your life sucks 711
You deserved it 686

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Just recycle the old reports from when you did them and nobody checked.

Massive amount of layoffs lately, good luck.

Comments

Just recycle the old reports from when you did them and nobody checked.

I can think of two possible reasons your boss is doing this and neither is one is a good thing - but recovery from this is possible… The worst possible interpretation is that boss is building a case to fire or otherwise discipline you (such as with a demotion) based on performance issues… The other case that I’ve seen is that the pressure is on at work and boss is tightening the screws on you to make sure you get whatever project or job you are working on done on schedule and/or budget… I have seen cases of both and there are two options: (1) Either do exactly what the boss is pressuring you to do in the most effective means practical and document your actions so you can show what you did and why and what obstacles you overcame… (2) Find a new job that is a better fit for your talents and skills with a more reasonable boss… In practice it takes a while to accomplish (2) finding a new job, so you have to also act on (1) to help save your job and paycheck until you can find a new job or the crisis has passed… By the way, while an occasional late day is sometimes necessary and productive - But usually lack of rest and sleep will rob you the next day of your productivity and you will make more mistakes. While I can see requiring daily reports henceforward and the last week - It’s an impossibility to prepare daily reports going back months. Surely you boss mean daily reports starting now and not a fictional report of whatever you did every day for the past few months.

Massive amount of layoffs lately, good luck.

ODBeefalo 10

there is a good chance someone ****** up and either A) you cost the company money with said **** up or B) you are one of the more "expendable" employees. best advice whether you keep the job or not is Cover Your Ass. keep a paper trail, run things by your supervisor etc. make damn sure you can't be help accountable for someone else's **** ups. companies do their best to not make a habit of firing upper management, since it means they could someday be on the block, so make sure even if you do go up, you take people with you who deserve it.