Get on with it

By Anonymous - 03/11/2014 18:03 - Poland - Warsaw

Today, I told my boss I'm going to quit, after months of being abused, doing meaningless work, and working late every day. I was soon given so many new projects that I didn't even have time to write my resignation letter. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 844
You deserved it 5 908

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Just don't do them if you are going to quit than why bother.

If you're going to quit, write the letter and quit. If you do the work it'll be for no reason.

Comments

The FML implies he hasn't been able to quit his job yet...

What I would've done is just give him the letter of resignation and leave him to do all the work!

Why not just write the letter instead of doing the projects?

incoherentrmblr 21

Why not just quit immediately and walk out w/o a letter of resignation after being given a lot of work after what OP just told their (former) boss...

((My bad, I misread what I was going to reply to. Please delete.))

Just don't do them if you are going to quit than why bother.

Some people have ethics. Now saying that I would have done it all wrong and give him a "I'm quiting. This is your two weeks notice".

lolhailsatan 23

What's unethical is abusing an employee to the point of them quitting.

#20, to the point that they cannot quit*

Because OP might need a letter of recommendation for their next job and if they don't do the work, they'll piss the boss off.

because that would be posted on the "job searching area" of the website and portray them as lazy

If you're going to quit, write the letter and quit. If you do the work it'll be for no reason.

Why tell your boss that you are going to quit before writing your resignation letter? Doesn't that just seem redundant?

It's courtesy to give them a heads-up before making it official. Though with the way they treated and are still treating OP, it's a courtesy they don't deserve. Sorry, OP :( Keep your chin up and do it, at least you'll still be getting paid. Hopefully you can secure a new job in the meantime!

just... don't do them. what's he going to do? fire you?

Exactly just do whatever you want until your boss notices or you could try talking to him about it if you haven't all ready. Hope everything works out

Do the projects wrong on purpose so he'll have to get them all fixed. Then write a beautiful resignation letter. Good luck and hope your new employer treats you better :-)

Yeah, hun, some people have real jobs that are a little more important than McDonalds. To stop showing up to said job would be like shooting yourself in the foot. The point of a 2 weeks notice is to keep a good standing for references from previous employers. Not to ruin them.

If OP has informed their boss of quitting, they have the legal right to stop showing up. You don't have to give a two weeks notice unless you're being nice.

Actually you do. Your notice period is stated in your contract that you sign when you start your employment. It varies depending on your probation period, also what the company specifies as the notice period. If you stop showing up, they can easily give you a bad reference and ruin your chances when getting or starting a new job. You need to be professional.

Yeah hun, I don't work at McDonald's, I work for the government :)

2 weeks notice is not required, and most states in the USA are "right to work" states, which means you can walk out or be fired for any reason without any notice.

two weeks is never necessarily required, what the other individual commenting is trying to say is that in order to maintain good standing in the workforce you need to have one. When you add your prior employment to your resume or application they don't just get ignored, they're one there for a reason and your potential new employer will call those places, and therefore you want to keep in good standing and put in a two weeks notice.

If you were going to resign though would you not assume that OP already has another job lined up? Who would quit when they have no other source of income?

How do you not have time to write a resignation letter? You're... leaving. Why worry about the work?