Crossing a line

By Anonymous - 20/02/2015 19:25 - United States - Wapakoneta

Today, my surgeon was giving me the lowdown of what was going to happen on the operating table. I was anxious enough without him saying stuff like "cut you open", "quite a bit of blood" and "it's all quite risky." That's all I remember before fainting. My wife won't stop mocking me for it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 009
You deserved it 3 357

Same thing different taste

Top comments

It's a serious thing no matter what. No one should mock or joke about some one having anesthesia or surgery . You wait until they are sedated to mock them and joke around .

giantsfan2010 23

She wouldn't be making fun of you if she was the one having surgery.

Comments

I had to go get surgery once because I almost died from my impendext how ever you spell it, it's nothing to joke about.

I had the same reaction with my dentist talking about nerve damage and half my face going slack etc with some dental surgery. I didn't faint but it was close

CAC_Boomerang 24

Ridiculous... You'd think years of university would have professionalised them already.

CAC_Boomerang 24

Ridiculous... You'd think years of university would have professionalised them already.

Isn't that a line from monty pythons the meaning of life?

I passed out on my first surgery. I almost made it into the operating room before I went into deep sedation.

I agree that doctors should be sensitive and understanding to a patient, however they are legally required to tell you what's involved in the procedure as well as all of the risks involved, even if the risk is one in a million. They legally have to tell you about the risks of dying under anesthesia, blood clots, infections, etc as well as explain the surgery almost step by step; so really you can't fault the doctor in this situation. I've actually known a few people, including my uncle, to pass out while the procedure is being explained to them, I think it's actually fairly common. I wouldn't worry about it op, it's fairly common and I'm sure they deal with it often enough. Just let your wife mock you and laugh along. Glad everything went well!

I've been on the operating table twice, its no joke. fyl for sure.

bunnylady08 13

In my experience, some of the most brilliant medical professionals have the worst bedside manners. Nurses excluded... of course.

LittleMissShadow 16

It was a serious matter and should be handled as such. Don't feel bad about passing out either, allot of people are squeamish when it comes to that stuff.