Crossed purposes

By Anonymous - 19/06/2013 07:18 - United Kingdom - Manchester

Today, my duty manager demanded we close the bar early because she wanted to go home. I was subject to abuse from customers for closing early, then shouted at by the duty manager for not being done. My actual bar manager fired me for closing early. FML
I agree, your life sucks 50 623
You deserved it 4 179

Same thing different taste

Top comments

completely unfair dismissal, I'm positive you can put a complain in for that.

Tell him what happened and your duty manager will get what they deserve!

Comments

titibug823 11

Tell the bar manager that the Duty Manager told you to shut it down early. You were just following orders. Not your fault.

You realize you can get that company in trouble right.

You know your mind is not for rent Don't put him down to management but reserve a quiet defense lining out the day's events Let them no your discontent You know firing not permanent

You should inform him that you were just following the orders of the duty manager, because otherwise it's unfair dismissal.

YDI. Most places with posted hours have policies about remaining open for those hours unless an emergency arises. You willfully followed an order that violated that policy because your direct told you to. Not only that, but you knew the direct was doing it for personal rather than business reasons and chose to go along. It also *looks* like you benefitted from the early closure to people on the outside. If I were the establishment manager, I'd have fired you, too, along with your direct supervisor. You should've called the bar manager immediately and refused to follow this obviously bad order. "I was just following an order" is not a defense if you knew the order was egregious. If it doesn't work in war crimes tribunals where the accused faces death, it won't work for you. You have an obligation to THINK about orders you receive. Get a new job, and next time, don't treat following orders as an excuse to be an idiot.

ileenefudge 29

You sound like an idiot...please stop talking because you clearly don't know what you are talking about.

You can sue them for "unfair dismissal" and get so much money from them. I don't know if they do that in England but in Australia they do, and they really help you with it, not put you in a waiting list or anything ridiculous like that. Good luck (:

You can sue for unfair dismissal in Australia? We can't do that here in America. We can get fired for any reason at all no matter how absurd it is. They don't have to have a justifiable reason.

That's a bit confusing...you should get your job back...

RedPillSucks 31

YDI on this one. If you didn't report to the duty manager, you should have gotten the OK from your own manager first before proceeding.

reread the FML. the duty manager is the one that told her to in the first place