Creativity stifled

By Anonymous - This FML is from back in 2010 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, I was at my psychologist's. We were talking about creative outlets and I told him that I wanted to start playing Dungeons and Dragons again. He starts chuckling, and then says, "Oh, you were serious." FML
I agree, your life sucks 16 264
You deserved it 22 425

Top comments

Dungeons and dragons is well good, ignore him and play :)

Why do I feel like smacking OP in the face with the Sceptre of Reality +4?

Comments

YDI for being mentally weak and seeing a psychologist, for being a basement-dwelling nerd, and for wanting to wear platemail as a mage.

jimbob13 0
missnuthin 10

Don't listen to these jerks. Anyone who thinks D&D isn't a creative outlet is an ignorant moron who's obviously never even picked up a PH, but just judges people and things based off of society's outdated and outlandish cliches. I have been playing D&D since the 8th grade, I'm now a college student with a running 2 year 4.0. I also play D&D two to three times a week. If ANYONE thinks its not a creative outlet, then I'd like to have a serious chat with them. I have written novels of publishable size and quality based entirely off of characters and games that inspired me. Just make sure you dont include anything that isnt open game content, and you're golden. And not only does D&D inspire me to write publishable works, but **it's helped me sucessfully manage my depression for 10 years**, and **has improved my marriage** significantly! Vin Diesel, a manly man if there ever was one, plays. I quote him saying that D&D is "The playground for the mind." I also have it on good reference that Jack Nickelson is a fantastic GM! So Screw your Shrink and all these jerks telling you the same crap. Don't play WoW or other mindless point and click. Pick up your books and dice again, I swear its a fantastic idea! All you need is a good group.

Aw, sad face, here I was saying no troll hate towards DnD when I have never played, and you have a go at WoW. T.T

I like my mindless point and click thanks... it's relaxing and I don't have to think about it once the computer is turned off. If it weren't mindless, I would not be able to play because I don't have the time for anything else. Both of my kids (one highschool and one in Uni) are DM's and run separate games. D&D is a great creativity and thinking game for people who have the time for it. The problem is that people take these games waaaaay too seriously and turn them into a lifestyle and that is never ok, no matter which game you're playing.

missnuthin 10

yeah, i took a stab at WoW because i know too many people who let it become their whole social world, and some have even become incapable of existing socially outside of it!. but these are the same kind of people who get so absorbed in farmville they let their kids starve. while the point and click are relaxing, heck i admit i find diablo 2 therapeutic at times, i cant help but believe that they can't be as mentally stimulating as D&D. everything is laid out for you, you dont have to think up of anything yourself. but this is the same case for all video and computer games.

Hey. I did a whole speech on that issue for college. Got an A. There are many ways video games are a creative outlet. So DONT TALK SHIT

Table top role playing games have the capability to be fantastic creative outlets for everyone involved. I run two campaigns (dnd 4e and 3.5) that keeps me connected to my friends in town and my friends and family where I used to live (Check out Maptool for remote dming). If you get a good enough group of people, both dm and players alike can contribute to some great cooperative storytelling. I tend to let the players drive the story while keeping things moving and exciting. Don't let people's opinions on what makes you happy affect your decisions. Be happy with yourself and what you love.

TryptamineDreame 0

Your pshycologist is cruel for doing that and not very professional, obviously whenever people think of someone seriously looking into playing a game they instantly switch to some awful stereotype. As for people say DnD is shit, that's your opinion but hopefully it won't grow into a troll orgy of meaningless hate... oh no, I didn't give you ideas, did I? I for one have never played DnD and have only heard of it through a few American shows with the same stereotype used everytime, it sounds interesting but I'm preoccupied with WoW, anime, manga, books and art right now. :P

That kind of sucks. Unfortunately, there's still a lot of stigma surrounding Dungeons and Dragons, which is baseless crap. But hey, you're in therapy! There's a lot of stigma surrounding mental illnesses and treatment, too, but you're still seeing a psychologist, so obviously you can get over stigma! **** it, play some D&D, and stay in therapy for as long as you need, both are ******' rad things.

Although I've never played D&D and never intend to, OP, do your thing, and fire your shrink. See how long he laughs when one of his cash cows walks out the door.