Confused

By dammit hearing aid - 10/07/2014 22:17 - United States - Wallingford

Today, I was interviewing a woman for a job. She told me that she may need days off because of her artistic son. I jokingly replied, "Does he color on the walls or something?" She then stared at me with a weird look on her face. Autistic, her son is autistic. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 851
You deserved it 22 321

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Mynameislinh 24

Well, they do sound alike... You could explain to her the misunderstanding and everything may be cleared up.

Comments

This is why, when talking to new people about your autistic child, it is best to use the phrase "has autism." Can't mis-hear that one! After they know, use the two interchangeably. I'm pretty sure when I'm talking fast about my autistic son, it makes it sound like he's an artist. Innocent mistake, OP. I hope she didn't get offended.

Syssy_fml 2

That is ignorant. If op thinks someone needs off for an artistic son then op shouldn't even be handling interviews. Leave it to someone who knows the difference between artistic and autistic! You can't tell people how they should "announce" their children.

Don't hire her, she is already saying she's going to call off and potentially a lot. Then you won't ever see her again. Problem solved!

You can't assume that. She was giving a heads up just in case. Hire her for the honesty!!

So parents of special needs children should be penalized because they want to help their children have a "normal" life? How very kind of you.

Did you give her the job? No hard feelings right?

I'm sorry that happened OP. Even if you explained the misunderstanding it'd still be embarrassing.

rocker_chick23 27

Don't feel bad OP. I have an accent and it sounds like artistic when I say autistic.

NemusKiller 5

Just don't give her the job... Lol

kotake 7

The most justice you can do in this situation OP is to look at her like every other candidate, not the one you offended. Because you do what half of the people saying here do and just not give her the job, and you are then just being an ass who's sacrificing a good worker because you can't deal with a simple mishear. But if you give her the job because you were offensive, then you're just typecasting her into someone you offended. Just overlook that experience and keep her competitive. If she gets the job great if she doesn't fine. But don't center it around that one small event that was your fault.

simple misunderstanding. i hope you explained it. although im sure she wouldnt have seen it as a simple misunderstanding...