Confused

By dammit hearing aid - 10/07/2014 22:17 - United States - Wallingford

Today, I was interviewing a woman for a job. She told me that she may need days off because of her artistic son. I jokingly replied, "Does he color on the walls or something?" She then stared at me with a weird look on her face. Autistic, her son is autistic. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 851
You deserved it 22 321

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Mynameislinh 24

Well, they do sound alike... You could explain to her the misunderstanding and everything may be cleared up.

Comments

Original poster here, didn't realize I wasn't logged in when I posted it. Anyway, yes I cleared the misunderstanding up. For those of you saying I should have used context, I had just finished a lengthy interview process and had told her that I was very confident she would get the job so I genuinely thought she was making a joke. I do also feel like she should have told me she needed days off before the very end of the interview, but obviously everybody makes mistakes.

Syssy_fml 2

Yeah, because everybody busts out the I'm gonna need days off for an ARTISTIC child during an interview. Wow, I can't stop laughing..NOT! And she isn't gonna tell you first thing about neesing days off b/c as you point out...she should have told you sooner...meaning you would have illegally dismissed her for a job she is obviously qualified for! Your job needs someone new doing the interviews, you obviously can't hear and are prejudicial.

Umm... First of all, you're just straight up wrong about that. It would be inappropriate if I asked her about needing days off for her son, and she really shouldn't have specified that she would need days off because of her son. Denying her the job because she needed days off is well within my legal rights as an employer. It only becomes an issue if she decides to sue claiming I discriminated against her which she could only claim if I knew about her son in the first place. And since she volunteered the information, I'm completely without fault. And as far as being prejudiced, I misheard her. I wasn't making fun of her son in any way shape or form. I think as a human being I'm entitled to the occasional mistake. Kinda like you saying prejudicial when I assume you meant prejudiced. So why don't you pick up a dictionary, human resources handbook, and generally all the written material you can find(because you really need the practice) and then come on back.

Guess you gotta give her the job now.....

Poking fun at others' children is never a good idea. It really sucks that it turned out like that, but you deserved it, OP.

Think before you speak OP. Obviously, you thought it was weird that someone would need time off for their "artistic" son. Think about it

Assume autistic when in doubt. An artistic child doesn't logically explain what she said.

Dude just explain you thought she said artistic and that your very sorry

I'm on the Autism Spectrum as an Aspergers diagnoses. personally I think it's hilarious.

I'm always amused at the abbreviation for the Family Medical Leave Act