Confused

By dammit hearing aid - 10/07/2014 22:17 - United States - Wallingford

Today, I was interviewing a woman for a job. She told me that she may need days off because of her artistic son. I jokingly replied, "Does he color on the walls or something?" She then stared at me with a weird look on her face. Autistic, her son is autistic. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 851
You deserved it 22 321

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Mynameislinh 24

Well, they do sound alike... You could explain to her the misunderstanding and everything may be cleared up.

Comments

Context clues could have saved you on this one...

Give her the job to make up for it. Haha. :)

lasagnanarcotics 14

The autistic are artistic. This lady should have appreciated your choice of words. Hats off to you my good linguistic fellow.

Your vast generalization of a mental issue is outrageously naïve and unrealistic.

Actually, autism gives intelligence. I've overcome my autism, but I used to be able to write excellent lyrics to songs, now, I suck at it. XD But, yeah. My autism is gone, now.

how can your autism have disappeared? it's a syndrome, not a disease. maybe you were diagnosed wrong or simply have a mild autism? you should get tested again instead of spreading wrong information.

Syssy_fml 2

Autism does not make everyone intelligent...nor does it disappear!

It's not really your fault so I hope everything worked out ok

Hey, I'm Autistic, but also artistic, so it was never a problem if someone misheard my mother like that :'3 Just tell her you misheard and I'm sure she will understand. Also, to any of those saying autistic children are stupid or are birth defects; A. it doesn't make us stupid, we just have a different way of thinking. B. Autism shows around 24 - 36 months onwards due to causes after birth, for example the MMR jab, so it is innacurate to call it a birth defect :3

This comment here, goes to show exactly what it's saying. Correct grammer, spelling, punctation, facts. They make other people without the label of autistic look silly.

The MMR not only does not cause autism, but got the doctor who tried to make that claim laughed at so hard he lost his medical license, since his study was a sham and he had financial incentive to discredit MMR as a single shot over three distinct injections. Look it up. Interesting read.

rocker_chick23 27

Vaccines don't cause autism. Only reason dumbasses think it does is because you get the vaccines around the time autism starts showing itself. Vaccines causing autism has been debunked time and time again. I suggest you educate yourself. My son is autistic and never got his vaccines because he has a very weak immune system.

It was an example, I apologise if I'm incorrect. I have merely seen records that show that as soon as I had the MMR jab, I began to have severe fits that implied epilepsy. After being tested, I was diagnosed Autistic. Also, when I studied psychology, one of the studies we looked at was how the MMR caused a high rise in the number of Autistic children. Due to this, I assumed that it was one of the causes, so I never felt the need to research further into it. I also believe its genetic as my brother now has it too. Regardless of this, I merely wanted to point out that it is not a birth defect, or makes us stupid. I have had so many people claim that, because I'm Autistic, it means I'm brain damaged or stupid, so I wanted to clarify that it doesn't mean that :3

rocker_chick23 27

Do you know what's happening because people are afraid of getting their children the MMR vaccine? There is a rise of measles and children are dying from the disease again. I don't know about you, but I would rather my child be vaccinated and have a small chance of having an adverse reaction than be unvaccinated and die or become disabled if he survives getting measles. My great aunt had measles as a child and she became blind from it.

How well were you actually trying to listen?

RedPillSucks 31

While I agree that the wording context should have been enough for OP to figure out that the word was Autistic and not Artistic, they do sound alike. Especially if the person saying them has an accent.

Just tell her you misheard her. Offer her the job and all is well in the world.

QueenofWheels 13

I think you misread the post. He was saying the mother said artistic, but meant autistic.

Lil_Red777 21

I think you both misread. The woman said autistic, OP thought she said artistic.

The way it reads in a literal sense, #36 is correct. The way it can easily be interpreted when combined with the OP's name, #60 is correct. Conclusion, Both are correct and nobody read the FML wrong except #31.

Sorry, let me get this clear. She's an idiot for looking after her autistic son?

Lil_Red777 21

How is she an idiot because OP misheard her????