Compassionate dad, huh?

By Anonymous - 16/10/2020 20:01 - United States - San Mateo

Today, I was having an emotional breakdown. I'm unhappy a lot and don't know why. It's very confusing. My dad yelled at me, telling me, "You have no right to be sad!" I'm even more confused now. Help. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 210
You deserved it 174

Same thing different taste

Top comments

peithecelt 28

depression, actual, honest to god depression, is not about life, it's about your brain chemistry not working. find a therapist, talk to a professional, and do not be scared of anti depressants. the right one will allow you to feel everything (good and bad) but at reasonable levels with brain chemistry that is functional.

Comments

Maybe if you did your workload of chores, you'd be too tired to be confused!

it's funny because I have heard this argument for a number of things from mine and my friends parents... depression, stress, you name it and it can apparantly be cured with doing what people want tou to do... but for reals, things like going to the gym and other excercise might help. healthy body healthy mind and the chemicals released when doing such things. still see a therapist, but it is for sure worth trying.

everyone has the right to have feelings

peithecelt 28

depression, actual, honest to god depression, is not about life, it's about your brain chemistry not working. find a therapist, talk to a professional, and do not be scared of anti depressants. the right one will allow you to feel everything (good and bad) but at reasonable levels with brain chemistry that is functional.

TomeDr 24

This! It took me three years to convince my daughter that how she was feeling is NOT normal. Once she agreed to see a psychiatrist and a counselor, her life has gotten SO much better! Please talk to your doctor about this.

Men tend to get angry at things they either don't understand, or things they don't like. What you're ever so briefly describing sounds like classic clinical depression. You absolutely need to see a therapist and learn how to deal with your emotions.

741-741 is the Crisis Text Line in America. Even if you're just feeling sad, or hopeless, someone will be assigned to talk to you and help you figure out your feelings. psychologytoday.com is also a great resource for finding a therapist based on your insurance, needs, and location. Stay safe, and listen to yourself. No one knows your brain better than you.

Hayesa 12

First, you've done amazing speaking out, its so hard sometimes. it sounds like depression, I was diagnosed at 15 with depression, I later tried to take my life. it took too long to get help. it's been 11 years since and im more stable now. Covid has made things hard again though. My advice is speak to someone about this. don't try to sweep it away as something that will go if ignored. with the right help it can though. typical of depression I hide away and isolate myself when struggling, which is the worst thing in a way, but sometimes you need thay space. I find no one treatment will work, some people find one alone does, but it doesn't find the 'trigger' so they loop in and out a lot. Medication and talking therapy worked well for me, if I cut one, I go downhill, but there's a lot of other factors there. know you are not alone, and you can survive this x

Been exactly there too, it's tragic when people like our parents say those things hope you feel better 🙂

frontblunt333 1

I have a great life and everything I need with parents who love me and a family that helps me whenever I need it. I still feel depressed all the time. You can't help the things you think. You can however try to change your life in positive ways in order to feel better. Talking with people, excersizing, getting out of the house, cutting bad habits out of your life and keeping busy at first MAY help. Sometimes your just going to feel sad and that's OKAY. Just don't let it build up and build up without letting it out to someone because it can be torturous.