Caturday surprise!

By Cats...FML - This FML is from back in 2011 but it's good stuff - Australia

Today, it's my sister's birthday. My parents got her a cat. I have serious allergies when it comes to cats. When I brought this issue up with my parents, they replied, "This day is not about you, it's about your sister." I can feel my throat tightening already. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 598
You deserved it 3 417

Same thing different taste

Top comments

On your birthday ask for something your parents are allergic to.

What the **** is wrong with parents these days?! Its FMLs like this that make me sooo angry. I think it is safe to assume that with such neglegent parents, you don't have an epipen or an inhaler, so when you can no longer breathe, make sure you call 911- bypass your parents entirely- and take a nice little trip to the ER. Tell the paramedics and doctors WHY you cant breathe. And enjoy your stay. Your lovely parents can foot the bill ;)

Comments

You are all idiots. Do you even know what having a serious allergy feels like? It feels like you constantly have the flu. I know, because I have them. When you have the flu you can get up and about can't you? But would you like to feel like that constantly? Can you function normally? **** no. And it's not a simple matter of "getting allergy medicine" or "not letting it into your room." When you have severe allergies no allergy medicine can completely take away all the symptoms. And what is the OP supposed to do? Stay in her room forever? When she goes to the kitchen or sits in the living room, she will get the symptoms. I spent a few months when my sister got a cat. It never once came into my room, yet I constantly had the worst of symptoms. I couldn't breathe out my nose, my eyes were red, watery and I alomost went through an entire kleenex box per day. You're all a bunch of retarded dicks. And so are the OP's parents.

Snivvler 4

Agreed. Anyone who has had a severe+ongoing allergy understands, it makes you feel like death on two legs. Allergy medicines suck! They give you the same side effects they are meant to get rid of.... Or they just don't work. OP's parents sound irresponsible, I would definitely get them a lovely bill from the ER.... And make the doctors know what pathetic parents they are. OR, if nothing else... ..............KILLTHECATKILLTHECATKILLTHECATKILLTHECATKILLTHECATKILLTHECATKILLTHECAT..................

You say this having periodically been exposed to cats and reacting with severe allergies. When I was born my parents were told I had an extreme allergy to cats and that any cats we had needed to be gone. My mother refused and kept the three we had at the time. (A lot of you consider this neglectful of my health and that it calls for child protective services.) I know what you mean by that it's hard to function normally. Along with asthma I had a very hard childhood where I used up a Kleenex box most days and no one would sit with me as a result at school until I got to High School. I've lived with cats all my life. Last year I was taken to the ER due to a serious asthma attack caused by dust and cat dander. It's taken me 24 years to develop some immunity to cats (current ones I've had for roughly 15 years). Two recent allergy tests still have my allergy to cats to be the worst of all my allergies and at the most severe level. At my last one I was told three times over that our cats had to be given away. Still I now can cope living with cats as long as they stay out of my room and my face does not come in contact with them. No allergy medicine has helped entirely but I've found one now to help tremendously with my allergies and I get weekly allergy shots. Living with cats while being severely allergic IS possible, it just takes a very long time of constant exposure and common sense to not exacerbate symptoms.

#107 That sounds like overly much money and discomfort just to maintain. I'd say get rid of the cat in some subtle way, people who buy pets when they know people are allergic to them deserve it.

My parents still refuse to give away the cats, especially with the cats being 15. At least when I live on my own again I won't have to deal with this.

hiqhfives 0

Well that's stupid . Why would they buy something that's gonna harm you? I'd secretly kill the cat if I we're you.

Be careful. My allergy to cats and dander triggered a severe asthma attack that put me in the hospital for a week, 4 days of which I was unconscious and intubated.

khat31 2

if i were you id cut of some of the cats hair and spread every wear make him cut the furniture and pee all over the place till your parents get sick of it and give him away

Just let it out side one night, or better yet take it to a farm.

Bently24 6

Now you can tell who the favorite child is.