Bye gifts

By Anonymous - 12/12/2018 08:30 - United States - San Francisco

Today, it seemed like a great day. Right up until the point to where I accidentally damaged a friend's MacBook Pro. Not only do I have to pay for it, but the only way I'll be able to afford it is by returning every single Christmas gift I get. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 478
You deserved it 675

Same thing different taste

Top comments

chessu 21

While I'd love to agree with the sentiment, perhaps OP's friend needs their laptop for immediate use (I definitely could not wait weeks or months for a new one) and can't afford to buy out a new one as they've not planned for this situation (yeah fine, with Mac products, you really should have insurance). End of the day, the OP broke it, so the OP needs to cover it regardless whether it's in instalments or all in one go. It's probably awkward enough for the friend to even ask this.

Isn’t a situation like this why you get an insurance?

Comments

Boyufd 24

or how about make payments one at a time?

Isn’t a situation like this why you get an insurance?

Yeah that's what i thought as well. I once accidentally killed a friends PC because i stumbled over the motherboard when we were putting the system into a new case. If it hadn't been for the damage it would've been pretty comical......but my insurance did pay without any issue and i guess the guy in charge of processing my claim got a good laugh out of it as well.

LadyRen 20

If the owner bought AppleCare it wouldn’t help. AppleCare doesn’t cover accidental damage.

Nhayaa 21

I think they're not talking about Apple waranty but personal insurance. Like a car or home insurance but for your personal actions. If it's an accident, the insurance should cover it.

You don’t have to return anything, a true friend would be fine to have instalments of what you can afford...unless you’ve proven to be bad with paying people back before

chessu 21

While I'd love to agree with the sentiment, perhaps OP's friend needs their laptop for immediate use (I definitely could not wait weeks or months for a new one) and can't afford to buy out a new one as they've not planned for this situation (yeah fine, with Mac products, you really should have insurance). End of the day, the OP broke it, so the OP needs to cover it regardless whether it's in instalments or all in one go. It's probably awkward enough for the friend to even ask this.

Lukr 8

If you can affford a macbook pro you can afford to pay 300 bucks for a cheap laptop that will get the work done in the meantime...

IHateMyLife4566585765866 4

don't return the Christmas gifts, just pay for it when Christmas is over and save up money until you can pay for it

Yeah I'm sure the friend would be happy to wait for their laptop to be fixed...😐

Why should your friends and family have to suffer for your clumsiness? You should hold up a liquor store or sell your body for degrading sexual perversions to have enough cash for all your expenses. It’s the spirit of the season!

weaboo 12

Well if you’re really close friends just tell him that you’re broke and ask him if he can help even a little bit by helping pay 10-20%. Don’t blame him though, you don’t want him to think that you’re a douche and trying to make him guilty because then he’d hate you forever. Just ask him nicely and maybe even beg and also ask someone else if they can help a little like if you have parents ask them to help you even a little they’ll be happy to help

No lol. They're most likely an adult and should fix their own shit. Or be more careful

tounces7 27

The YDI or YLS really depends on HOW you damaged it here.

Deez_Knots 10

Tis better to give then receive

Andrea Trevor 19

Depends on how or why it was damaged, but mistakes and accidents happen to the best of us. A kind hearted friend will realize that demanding you do such a thing as return all the presents you’ve bought for a worldwide-celebrated holiday is not right and they will accept the consequences of life, because that’s what happened...life.