Bunch of bankers, the lot of them

By Alyce - 06/11/2020 02:08 - United States - Lewistown

Today, I went to deposit a check, only for them to accidentally deduct the whole thing from my account. I didn't notice this until I went to buy groceries, after the bank had closed. I'm in negative numbers and will get an overdraft charge by the time I can get it fixed. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 026
You deserved it 91

Same thing different taste

Top comments

this is their fault and if they want to charge you an overdraft let out your inner Karen. I would even mention the embarrassment of standing in line at the grocery store with a declined card.

kimdaa 13

Nah, you'll be fine. Banks can reverse/waive overdraft fees... especially considering the fact that they were the ones who messed up.

Comments

kimdaa 13

Nah, you'll be fine. Banks can reverse/waive overdraft fees... especially considering the fact that they were the ones who messed up.

this is their fault and if they want to charge you an overdraft let out your inner Karen. I would even mention the embarrassment of standing in line at the grocery store with a declined card.

you're right but... I don't want to have an inner Karen!

Jillian Cosby-Kelly 15

easy fix, you'll get your money back. sorry you had to experience this though

how does one bank "accidentally deduct it?" I've worked in banks before, that doesn't just happen. unless you were already in the negatives and that check helped you a little more out of the negatives but you still have a negative balance?

or the check was placed on hold in some weird way because they suspected it may not clear. Something wonky like that, on top of gas charges for $1.00 finally posting, etc.

that too. sometimes if it's a new account and if it's a big amount it can be on hold for like a week

coius 23

Has happened before to me with a trainee. I had to sue the bank as they messed up so bad, I lost thousands of dollars in business due to having to cancel the event. It took three days to clear the payment due to the monetary amount, and they mis-entered instead of deposit, but debit and took money into the 5-digit figure amount putting me so far under, i couldn’t rent the equipment that was reserved. The bank when I called had cancelled their support contract with their call center leaving a window of 15 days with no tech support. Thank god for lawyers. They had to pay court costs and legal fees as well. It ruined another company’s business as well since it caused a cascading effect. A 5-digit mistake took 8-figures to resolve through 2 years and many, many lawsuits by myself and several other contractors.

They shouldn't charge you overdraft fees for their screw-up. They should definitely reimburse you, too.

randybryant799 20

The bank will fix it. Calm down.

randybryant799 20

And once the bank opens you'll get it all fixed.