Bummed out

By Anonymous - 26/09/2023 04:00 - United States - Steubenville

Today, I finally decided to open up to my supervisor about my horrible depression. I was crying my eyes out in her office when she announced that she had to leave and go to a meeting, leaving me to cry alone in her office. FML
I agree, your life sucks 544
You deserved it 348

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I'm sorry to hear this OP. I hope you are getting help from a medical professional, and maybe your supervisor can help with rearranging your workload (if you need it) to help. Things will get better. Sending big internet hugs to you.

She's a boss and not your therapist or buddy. You need to keep your shit together at the office.

Comments

I'm sorry to hear this OP. I hope you are getting help from a medical professional, and maybe your supervisor can help with rearranging your workload (if you need it) to help. Things will get better. Sending big internet hugs to you.

I feel for you and hope you get better. Work is not really the appropriate place for this kind of thing.

If it's impacting OP's performance and/or if they need therapy that is only available during office hours and requires time off or different hours, then their boss needs to be made aware of this. Unless you're suggesting that OP show up on their boss's doorstep, that kind of makes the workplace the only place they could have this conversation.

Well, the phrase opening up sounds more like a conversation you would have with someone close to you. It kind of sounds like you might be unloading a bunch of mental baggage onto someone. Of course it depends on how the actual conversation goes. I guess when I read it I didn't get the impression that OP was informing the boss that the workload was too much or that time off was needed during work hours. It sounded more like a personal conversation that happened during work but what do I know? Sometimes though a person needs a different job instead of forcing the job to conform to your needs. I had a job years ago where I worked in close contact with some very difficult clients with health challenges. One day my boss called me in and talked to me about it and expressed concern that this client might be too difficult for me. I was qualified for the role so that's not the issue. Because of this specific situation there were only two workable outcomes. Either I deal with the problem client and get paid for it or I don't. There were no workarounds or changes in hours possible. In this case I chose to work with the client because I needed the hours and I had a terrible experience but learned a lot. Mostly I learned that some clients are jerks just because they can be but I also learned that sometimes you might not be suited for a certain job. I love that job and did it for years. I considered going back but there's too much government regulation that has pushed hundreds of people out of the field. The clients constantly complain that there's not enough support but the requirements are so stringent and not meaningful long-term so most people only stay for two or three years.

She's a boss and not your therapist or buddy. You need to keep your shit together at the office.

County_Mayo_Jon 1

That’s tough. Glad you’re reaching out for help.