Assumption

By Anonymous - 14/02/2019 14:52 - United States - Hartford

Today, my girlfriend started bitching me out about how public proposals are unfair and how they pressure a girl to say yes. All I did was get on my knee to tie a loose shoelace. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 476
You deserved it 3 389

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Sounds like someone really doesn't want to marry you. If you're in this seriously, you might consider finding someone else who is serious, too.

There's a difference between saying, "I love you, sweetheart!" in public and the spectacle that public proposals cause. Suddenly the proposee is surrounded by strangers who are hanging on their every word and ready to judge or comment if they say no. That's a lot of pressure and not cool if public proposals/marriage in general isn't something that hasn't been discussed. It's not that hard to feel out if your loved one is someone who's against or for public proposals BEFORE you get on one knee.

Comments

bgon1350 4

technically you still tied a knot...so it counts

JOEBOBARNOLD 15

Guys, she didn't say no. All she did was say that public proposals pressure the girl. That's no reason for him to break up with her.

Isa_fml 20

She's right, but I'm not sure why a person would get upset about it if it didn't, you know, happen.

Well it puts more pressure on the guy because what if she says no he looks stupid infront of everyone

In some ways this is true, but there are some guys who publicly propose (or propose during a family gathering) to manipulate their SO into saying yes, because they know the/she wouldn't be able to reject them in front of others :/

I don't agree at all. Yes, it can be embarrassing, but he is CHOOSING to do it in public. The other, however, is surprised and put on the spot by it. If they have any shyness, social anxiety, problems with attention, you can send them into a panic attack or cause they to break down. There's also a huge pressure to say yes because you know that's what everyone watching wants, vocal or not, and as the other commenter said, it can be used to manipulate. This isn't to say don't ever publicly propose, but the proposer is NOT the one who has more at risk. Just talk about marriage and proposal no-no's and what they'd like for one.

Dump the bitch. She's clearly easily offended and jumps to conclusions too quickly.

cynical78 15

Run away now. There are huge issues under the surface. Issues that could be very difficult to overcome.

Sounds like you need a new girlfriend.