Activism but with cupcakes

By feminismlol - This FML is from back in 2012 but it's good stuff - Australia - Brisbane

Today, I went to my first meeting at the university women's group, excited to become a more involved feminist. The first item on the meeting's agenda? The upcoming bake sale. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 146
You deserved it 29 780

Top comments

Okay, I understand wanting to be feminist, so, doesn't baking together as a group of feminists to make a profit off of your goods seems to me to fit right in with that? You're not baking because some macho man has said "Hey baby, stay in the kitchen and bake some cookies." No, you're raising money for your organization to do more things. And you're doing it in a business style, so what's the problem here?

Oh god... Involved feminism... "Grab, twist, then pull!"

Comments

I can't stand feminists! Fine, give me equal pay for equal work...that's great in office jobs, the food industry etc. Start talking the construction fields as a whole.....I don't care what women say, we are physically NOT built the same as men. Our musculature is different, our center of gravity is different etc. My husband has been a carpenter in many different industries and I'm telling you, women are not capable of the constant heavy lifting, carrying etc. Now, for all you feminists whose Wheaties I just pissed in....tough titty!

perdix 29

Bullshit! We're still not at equal pay for equal work, and without feminists, things would be even more unjust. You may be right that overall men are stronger than women, but that doesn't mean there aren't some individual women who have strength that exceeds a good number of men. You can't discriminate based on gender. You can discriminate based on whether someone can't handle the physical demands of a job, but that certainly doesn't go along gender lines. You make me sick. You enjoy the benefits of the rights feminists have secured for you, and you turn around and knife them in the back.

Then its odd the women in my family have construction work, or other typical "man jobs" and does it as good as the men, including lifting.. Stop having your head in the sand.. Not all girls are weak..

Dude, you're an idiot. Go pick up an actual book and find out what feminism is about before you make comments like this one. Feminism isn't about women replacing men. It's about equality between *genders.* It's not about women wanting to take over the world, and putting men in dungeons. Even if I could be a carpenter, I wouldn't want to for a million dollars. That's not the damn point of feminism. Again, your ignorance makes you sound like an idiot. Stop it.

What if my man like the dungeon? Way to piss on my love life. ^_-

uprising_fml 0
taylor317 7

I love this comment, I think women should be paid equally for doing the same job as a man, IF she can do it as well, and in most physical cases, women can't. We aren't as strong as men, period.

Rocky007 15

Hope your group gets someone from outside the group to actually sell the goods. Because hot girls will get you more business, and I'm confident there's no hot ones in a feminist group.

Caring about women only because of their appearance = why we still need feminism. Thank you for that example.

I would like to officially nominate your comment for "Worst Comment of the Year". Yup, worse than "lol", worse than "your an idiot", worse than all the "arrow to the knee" comments put together. Congratulations!

uprising_fml 0

I second that nomination for "worst comment of the year" .

so apparently feminism = YOU DON'T COOK EVER FOR ANYONE BUT YOURSELVES. EVER. Seriously, a bake sale doesn't demean you in any way. What do people like? Cakes. You'll get a lot more info given out if you have the offer of sweet things, than something like the polar opposite - standing outside of a bakery protesting that women shouldn't be working there or something. Equal rights still means that you can take care of your kids, be a housewife, cook the food for your husband, and do all the "traditional feminine norms" that are stereotypical. It just means that if you choose so, you can always go to work or let your husband cook, or do the things that in the past, might have been reserved for men. You're not a feminist, OP, you're just an idiot.

This isn't the first time I've seen something like that with Feminist groups, but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing. It's a legitimately good way to earn money for these groups.

It's not bad, but it definitely is ironic.

That's only if you're reading too deep into it, darling.

perdix 29

No, DjeePee didn't have to read too deep to find the irony in the feminist bake sale -- it's a fairly easy thing to notice. I could make an analogy of some ethnic group selling a stereotypical food item, but it would probably get moderated.

I hate some feminists, wanting equal rights I understand and support but the fact is women are not physically the same as men. Objecting to cooking and cleaning the house is stupid, how about you swap jobs and you do the heavy lifting, fixing stuff or whatever.

We did. I worked 12 years in a pro stable farm taking care off 9 massive race horses and the farm cars, tools ext.. Alone most of the time. (which isnt actually always easy work) Last time I checked im a girl. And my man is the cook in my house. That dosent make him less of a man or me less than a woman.

Feminism isn't about women getting the same jobs as men, even if they're individually not up to the task. If a woman wants to cook and clean and whatever, that's cool. However, the problem arises when she has NO CHOICE. Even if she would make an amazing builder/scientist/engineer/other typically male-dominated profession.

uprising_fml 0

117- they have a choice if they can make it though the job hiring process in a male dominated job market.

Mkbitch 2

Sounds feminine to me! I bet you had a blast, you woman you :)

I don't understand. Aren't feminists allowed to bake or cook? If you ever achieve your goal of eradicating/killing off the male species then how are you going to feed yourselves if your not allowed to cook?

Feminists are a ******* joke. You sig around bitching about first world problems and do nothing about the millions women around the world are prisoners in their own homes, have acid thrown in their face, are executed for being raped.... Now go back your stupid cookies and feel important

harkerk87 3

I swear every women's group I've ever known of they always have bake sales and wonder y everyone makes comments about women pertaining to baking and cooking

Wouldn't mud wrestling be a better fund raiser?