Activism but with cupcakes

By feminismlol - This FML is from back in 2012 but it's good stuff - Australia - Brisbane

Today, I went to my first meeting at the university women's group, excited to become a more involved feminist. The first item on the meeting's agenda? The upcoming bake sale. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 146
You deserved it 29 780

Top comments

Okay, I understand wanting to be feminist, so, doesn't baking together as a group of feminists to make a profit off of your goods seems to me to fit right in with that? You're not baking because some macho man has said "Hey baby, stay in the kitchen and bake some cookies." No, you're raising money for your organization to do more things. And you're doing it in a business style, so what's the problem here?

Oh god... Involved feminism... "Grab, twist, then pull!"

Comments

Read feminist group and "to become a more involved feminist" and hit Ydi. If you guys had a cause other than "See? We are better than guys. Treat us with equality which actually means treat us better than guys" maybe you'd have some credibility. I'm all for women having rights but you are just against everything male and refuse to use logic...

That's not what feminism is. Anyone who says they're a feminist and follows it up with "we're better than men" is an idiots Feminism is about getting equality between genders, not about elevating one above the other. Anyone who says otherwise has the completely wrong idea. The kind of "feminists" you're talking about are the opposite of feminists. So maybe you should read up on the subject a little before you make comments of this nature. It's offensive to those of us who actually have a clue.

Actually, 20, in some cases of radical feminism, women DO believe they're better than men; men are nothing more than sperm donors. Some groups of feminists also believe that separate "camps" for women and men to live in is the only way women won't be oppressed. It's extreme, yeah, but some women genuinely believe this and fight their cause for their entire lives - even giving away or aborting male children.

"ctually, 20, in some cases of radical feminism, women DO believe they're better than men; men are nothing more than sperm donors." If a feminist believes she (or he) is better than the opposite gender, (s)he is not a feminist. D'uuh.

Pretty sure you lost all credibility when you ended your argument with "D'uuh"

taylor317 7

Thank you! Girls think they're better than guys, and they deserve everything to be amazing for them, just everything! I can't stand most women, especially feminists, and I'm a girl.

wildsweetchild 19

Would your feminist ego be more satisfied if you had to do some manly job? .. Point of the feminism is not to replace males, but have equal opportunity ..if baking will provide needed funds, then go do it and stop complaining like a little bitch!

Sounds like you need to man up and understand that even though you're a big bad feminist you still need to do the petty shit

Feminists can bake. Baking has nothing to do with feminism, for god's sake. Feminism is about equality between genders, nothing else. The only thing FML about this is that you have no clue what the group you just joined is trying to do.

Birdie_Sage 0

What were you planning on doing anyways?

This has shattered my illusions. I thought feminists did boxing and rugby, and watched sports while drinking beer, farting, and devouring the souls of men.

20 i don't really care to "have a clue" and "read up" about something so useless. Females and males are built differently and have been since the beginning of time. I believe women should be allowed to vote and should get equal pay (as long as they can actually show equal work) but all they're (feminists) currently doing is the same thing other minorities do, dividing the general population.

"Females and males are built differently and have been since the beginning of time." And this means that a woman can't be a truck driver and a man can't be a houseman? 'Cause this is what true feminism is about: equal rights for both men and women. Society has divided characteristics, hobby's, jobs... into 'manly' and 'womanly', while, in all honesty, the majority of them is bullshit. A real man can be a hairdresser who loves cleaning, knitting and children and who cries while watching The Notebook, and a real woman can be an engineer who loves repairing the sink and playing violent games and who's favorite movie is Star Wars. And this is something society needs to realise.

I agree with you, 43. The only problem I have with feminism is those people who have misappropriated the term. They need to be slapped. Any feminist who looks down on women who enjoy womanly things is doing it wrong. It implies that femininity itself is negative, which is obviously untrue. I'm allowed to make a sandwich for a guy if I damn well feel like it, it doesn't mean I'm being submissive or something. I just happen to like making tasty sandwiches.

They can vote you dumbass. But it's like Obama. (don't rage at me with replies, you know its true.) Obama got over 99 of the black vote. Any woman would get just as much.

"The only problem I have with feminism is those people who have misappropriated the term." True. But then people should be mad at them, not at the real definition of feminism. I find it quite astonishing to read how many people here are against feminism, all because some female 'feminists' demand to be treated better than men. That's not feminism, that's hypocrisy.

So feminists aren't allowed to bake? I understand wanting equality and the gender roles broken but one shouldn't have to give up everything that is "woman's work" in order to reach that goal. I love to cook, bake, take care of my son, but I'm also damn good at my job and can throw a baseball harder than most guys. It shouldn't have to be all or nothing.

perdix 29

Fight the stereotype by baking ****** Cookies.