By kbug95 - 03/01/2015 20:20 - United States - Avondale

Today, while at work at a call center, I got a call from an elderly man who needed a new credit card because he'd accidentally cut up his own card instead of his wife's. Trying to be funny, I said "Trying to keep her in line, eh?" Turns out his wife had just died. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 204
You deserved it 21 740

kbug95 tells us more.

OP here! Thanks for the support and all. The cardmember was actually really understanding about it. I immediately apologized, but he was really cool. Could have been a bad situation furshur. I'm glad he wasn't a grumpy old man!

Top comments

It's not like you knew she had passed away. Don't beat yourself up about it.

He was keeping her in line for the crematorium.

Comments

Well um at least you tried to be funny. Not your fault, right?

1PersonIsMyWorld 22

Why else would a person cut up another loved ones credit card? my first thought is death.. u really should have kept it professional and not said anything.

It's not like you knew she had passed away. Don't beat yourself up about it.

Murilirum 23

My thoughts exactly. The joke wasn't in poor taste it was merely to make small talk. Complete coincidence and if the OP showed true sympathy for the caller once they found out, then the balance is restored and all is well.

That would have been dead awkward. Was that a pun too far?

I don't know about that being too far but I bet that after this revelation there was dead silence on the phone for a few moments.

You couldn't have known OP, don't beat yourself up over it

I'm so sorry about that it must have been really awkward. Hopefully that customer is okay

The customer is fine. His wife, on the other hand, is dead.

Run and hide or the elders will find you and make you become one of them

IAmzephyr 22

guess thats why it's sometimes better to say nothing.

19990231 29

Honest mistake, but maybe avoid jokes about abuse over the phone with strangers?

Keeping her in line does not necessarily equal abuse. The customers wife, had she been alive, may have been an excessive spender and needed her credit card rights taken away. This is not abuse.

19990231 29

Psychological abuse?? Jk, I should have reread the post before commenting. I realized that my previous comment made no sense at all as soon as I saw the time run out for my edit.

He was keeping her in line for the crematorium.

I honestly can't decide if what you said is funny or not