By kbug95 - 03/01/2015 20:20 - United States - Avondale

Today, while at work at a call center, I got a call from an elderly man who needed a new credit card because he'd accidentally cut up his own card instead of his wife's. Trying to be funny, I said "Trying to keep her in line, eh?" Turns out his wife had just died. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 205
You deserved it 21 740

kbug95 tells us more.

OP here! Thanks for the support and all. The cardmember was actually really understanding about it. I immediately apologized, but he was really cool. Could have been a bad situation furshur. I'm glad he wasn't a grumpy old man!

Top comments

It's not like you knew she had passed away. Don't beat yourself up about it.

He was keeping her in line for the crematorium.

Comments

Is it by any chance a scummy call center and are all of your co-workers drug addicts?

19990231 29

No, that op didn't get the job remember. This op is the drug addict.

KhaleesiDannie 26

I was actually going to say that haha at least this OP has a seemingly good personality

Lol we are not drug addicts I promise. Our job is to make our customers feel like they're talking to a friend, not a credit card company. I crack jokes with people all the time. This time, however, it was a close call. I've used that joke before and the guys usually laugh and sarcastically confirm. And again, he was REALLY nice about the whole thing.

Don't you just hate it when you're dead and someone clips your card?

don't feel too bad about that, you couldn't have known. fyl, indeed.

I've said the wrong thing to clients over the phone too. FYL for having to work in a call center.

It might seem like you deserved it, but you were just being a good employee in trying to relate to your customer....

That was pretty funny OP, I'm sure under normal circumstances he would have seen the funny side :)

Whoops. I hate when these things happen

At least you don't write for Hallmark.