Party for One!

By Sam - 08/12/2017 01:30

Today, at the supermarket, I bought a cake and had my friend's name put on it. It wasn't anyone's birthday, I just wanted to feel less ashamed about buying a whole cake for myself. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 999
You deserved it 2 133

Same thing different taste

Top comments

EarthsMightiestHeroes 20

As a cashier, I can officially say that I don't even bat an eyelash when someone buys an entire unmarked cake, nor do I think of reasons why they're buying it. There's no reason to be ashamed--buy that cake! chances are your cashier won't even remember you in 10 minutes. I sure as heck don't.

TeachAllTheMath 19

Next time put your name on it! That’s your cake- be proud!

Comments

PhantomCrevan 8

Why exactly are you ashamed? There's nothing wrong with treating yourself from time to time, even if said treat is a whole cake. Because of what other people say? Anyone who's rude enough to comment on that isn't the type of person who's opinion is worth a shit. As long as you aren't binging on it in one sitting, then either not eating or purging, there's no reason to be ashamed of doing that every so often. Maybe if it's something you do every couple of days, all year round, it could be a matter of /concern,/ because of health risks, but not really something to be ashamed of. Even more so because it's scientifically proven that experiencing shame in regards to food means you are more likely to have an unhealthy relationship with it. If you are really super concerned about it, talk to your family doctor for the health portion of it, and see if there are any psych clinics that know how to evaluate if your relationship with food is healthy or not. (Not to mention, you can always freeze cake. Put slices on a baking sheet, place in freezer so they are flat, let freeze for four+ hours, place into freezer bags or vacuum seal bags. They keep for anywhere from three to six months depending on the type of cake, icing, bag, and freezer temp.)

I'm not having this patience to type all the words

manb91uk 22

There is nothing wrong with wanting a whole cake to yourself - own that shit next time! I voted YDI for being so neurotic though *thumbs up*

I was about to say pretty much the exact same thing. Maybe I'm just a shameless fat ****, but I don't understand why so many people are afraid of their purchases being judged by cashiers. Granted, I've never been one myself, but from what I know, most simply don't give a shit. As long as you don't make their day needlessly difficult, you could buy the entire confectionery aisle for all they care.

TeachAllTheMath 19

Next time put your name on it! That’s your cake- be proud!

Aside from the great long post above, it's always us who think people are judging us for things. In reality, the people selling you things don't care what you buy or wonder who you're buying it for. All they want is for you to go in, buy stuff, give them your money and leave again without causing any problems. And the other customers around you rarely will even notice you, much less actually look at what you're buying beyond just looking without processing what they see because they have to look somewhere if they don't want to stand around with their eyes closed. If you want a cake, buy a cake. Nobody but you will care :)

You couldn’t even give a piece to your friend whose name gave you cover?

JINXnocturnal 18

yeah! That really takes the cake! You can't have their cake AND eat it too!

EarthsMightiestHeroes 20

As a cashier, I can officially say that I don't even bat an eyelash when someone buys an entire unmarked cake, nor do I think of reasons why they're buying it. There's no reason to be ashamed--buy that cake! chances are your cashier won't even remember you in 10 minutes. I sure as heck don't.

julfunky 29

I was going to comment the same thing. When I was a cashier I never even thought about it. People buy unmarked cakes all of the time. It’s strange they actually believed the cashier would think this. Newsflash OP: Cashiers aren’t paid enough to think about your purchases. Relax.

The only time I even thought or looked at the item was when I was brand spakin new at it. Everything kind of melts together after a day though.

10thFloor 16

wasn't the same FML published a few weeks ago?

Might you be thinking of the user that accidentally tossed a cake into the backseat of their car?

readingrachel 9

Birthdays don't have a monopoly around cake. You're allowed to eat cake. It's not a good idea to eat an entire cake with one sitting (cause of the eventual sugar crash), but you're allowed to do it

Lobby_Bee 17

Why can't you put your own name? They know yours? Be proud about making yourself happy.

I don't know why in the world you think anyone at the supermarket cares if you buy a whole cake.