You got lawyered

By fckmylife - 20/12/2016 19:47

Today, I found out that I'm being sued for posting on Facebook about a customer service experience with a local company. Even though we have witnesses, the owners of the store claim that we're lying about the whole thing and that we're "malicious". FML
I agree, your life sucks 9 192
You deserved it 715

Same thing different taste

Top comments

ApparentlyNotEno 28

If you're in the United States, this is no longer legal, and the case can be thrown out (and/or you can countersue). Look up the Consumer Review Fairness Act of 2016. If you're outside the States, ymmv, but check the local laws. There's probably something that protects you. In any case, most jurisdictions protect any written or verbal expression as long as it's true - libel and slander only apply if what you've said is untrue. I think you can also countersue for defamation or something similar. (I'm not a solicitor myself, so I can't say for certain.) Talk to an attorney - if the lawsuit is frivolous or punitive, most times you can even have your attorney's fees paid for by the losing party (but - and this is important - you have to ASK the court for that sort of relief). Seriously, engage a lawyer, and don't back down from these bullies.

Comments

If what you say is the truth, and you can provide proof or witnesses to corroborate your story. Then you have nothing to fear in the eyes of the court. I'd still recommend hiring or at least consulting with an attorney with a background in consumer or business law, just to ensure your airtight. If they are going after you for simply exposing a poor experience involving the company which is your right to do you since your providing public feedback and not just slandering the company in a malicious way, be careful I suspect they will try to play dirty in court. If you reside in the United States I'd also recommend filing a grievance with the Better Business Bureau, or whatever the equivalent organization is for your country. If they pride themselves on a high rating to promote their business and draw in new customers, a poorly handled experience on their end would damage their rating, showing their unwillingness to address address customer concerns and complaints in a professional manner. This step might be redundant if your being challenged with a lawsuit as I'm not sure what the BBB policy is on cases with pending legal cases, so look into that too. Hope this helps and best of luck!

randybryant799 20

They can't sue you. That's ridiculous.