Vicious circle

By DarkMaskDiva - 21/03/2020 18:00

Today, I found out the medication my doctor gave me for depression is making me fat. My main reason for depression is an eating disorder. Now, I'm fat instead of just thinking I am. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 831
You deserved it 217

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That's awful! Most people don't understand what it's like to have an eating disorder so they won't give any kind of good advice. Do you by chance have a counselor or therapist or psychiatrist who would know better what medication could help? anti depressants alone won't conquer an eating disorder :( I'm so sorry hun

ashbashlove 2

Please ignore all the ignorant comments. Eating disorders are no joke and so incredibly difficult to overcome. Antidepressants **** with you in so many ways. The worst is ignorant people who mock and make things worse because of the limited knowledge and understanding of mental disorders. Please stay strong!

Comments

So, your doctor cured your body dysmorphia by making you as fat as you feel? Now you are living with reality. Sounds like a win!

Literally **** off. Your 'jokes' are terrible and insensitive.

Literally? Your pompous but illiterate use of the word shows me that you're a pretty low-grade moron. Perhaps it is you who should **** off, figuratively speaking.

Sorry you aren't up-to-date with slang, but just because I used a word in an informal manner, doesn't mean the usage was incorrect. But I'm glad to see that rather than defending your initial comment, you jump to attacking me for perceived IQ or education level. (I have a BA from a leading university, moron.) It shows that you know you were being a troll. I'm sad for you if this is the only thing bringing you enjoyment.

You're such a hypocrite! You attacked me personally and did not even mention the contents of my comment. You were not engaging me in an argument that would make defending my comment appropriate. You use of "literally" was utterly meaningless and just a verbal tic you've adopted to make yourself sound smarter. My academic credentials are far more impressive than yours, but unless the subject pertains to my field of study, I don't throw them around in an ultracrepidarian way. Don't worry for me -- I have plenty of other outlets from which I derive joy. I visit this site a few minutes a day and contribute what I feel like.

Get off meds and accept the fact that u dont have a disorder only a lack of emotional understanding. It takes time, but just mainly practice eating only when u actually feel hungry or the need for certain food nutrients. Listen to what ur in the mood for specifically not what u think u crave in a habitual sense.

Ambrily 27

This must be the worst advice I have ever read in my life

DirtySalamander 9

so, what is it then? its lack of discipline. you need a dietary professional. Not a doctor for prescribing medicine just to block off sadness. You need to start from the problem. if not eating is the problem for your depression. then start from your diet. listen to your body and not your pleasure cravings of food.

That's awful! Most people don't understand what it's like to have an eating disorder so they won't give any kind of good advice. Do you by chance have a counselor or therapist or psychiatrist who would know better what medication could help? anti depressants alone won't conquer an eating disorder :( I'm so sorry hun

DirtySalamander 9

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

talk therapy can be really helpful, and try not get too down on yourself. go talk to your doctor and see where to go from here. It can take time to find the right medication for things like this, and it's not unusual to safely with the help of a doc try a few to see what works best for you. also if your doctor doesnt tell you (which they should) ask about side effects, weight gain and change in apetite is not uncommon in mood and hormone altering medication.

ashbashlove 2

Please ignore all the ignorant comments. Eating disorders are no joke and so incredibly difficult to overcome. Antidepressants **** with you in so many ways. The worst is ignorant people who mock and make things worse because of the limited knowledge and understanding of mental disorders. Please stay strong!

DirtySalamander 9

I wouldnt say an eating disorder is a mental disorder. it's more of that your trying to feel an empty space with food. it's like you're trying to cover the surface of the hole and the actual hole. trust me, you are just looking for an escape and that's not it. you have to face the problem and really look at yourself. is that what you really want to look like?

Unfortunately, most antidepressants will make you gain weight