By Anonymous - 07/06/2012 17:42 - United States - Seattle

Today, while waiting for a bus, someone started smoking at the bus shelter, which is illegal in my city. I politely asked him to stop smoking, citing the city ordinance. He just cackled and said that if I'm so concerned about the state of my health, I should start by losing 90 pounds. FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 624
You deserved it 39 130

Same thing different taste

Top comments

While heart disease does kill more people than lung cancer, that guy was a prick.

Comments

Loose the weight and go look after him

Should have told him you where pregnant that could excuse some of the weight and give him a really good reason to put out the smoke.

If she's 45 or older she couldn't really say that to make it be believable.

Uh yeah I guess but I really we don't know her age so I don't see how that's relevant.

Why couldn't she? Although it's rare, I've know women in their late 40's to early 50's who get pregnant. Just depends on when a woman starts menopause.

YDI completely for not minding your own business.

100% agree. In my city you might get your ass kicked for saying that. Your not a cop either. So I would say mind your own business. And if he's outdoors. What's the big ******* deal anyways.

I know exactly where you're coming from but if it's illegal maybe op was just trying to help out? in case the smoker got a fine? just a thought :)

Does that mean the OP should go to every single person who doesn't walk in a crosswalk and cite the city ordinances on jaywalking? I mean the least she could do is be consistent

not at all, (no idea what jaywalking is) I'm just saying, that maybe he thought he was trying to help. I agree with the others that he should have just kept to him self I was just offering what is train of thought might have been.

It is her business, though. He was smoking where people need to sit. It's her right to stand up for herself if she doesn't want to deal with second hand smoke, and on top of that it's illegal. I don't have a problem with smokers. I have a problem with inconsiderate people, and if OP had a problem with it, why should she have to put up with it?

Smoking is annoying. It smells like shit and is unhealthy for everyone. I don't blame you OP

murphy22 6

It is harder to quit smoking then to lose weight, but even if you're overweight you aren't smothering everyone in your vicinity else with that.

Well you could be if you were enough overweight.

CoyBrunette 4

26- I guess you have never been on a crowded city bus with an overweight person in the middle of summer. That is smothering!

murphy22 6

Well not a bus, but an airplane and an elevator.

nah, i smoked for awhile, and while it was a bitch to quit, it was much easier than losing weight. smoking is a still a really shitty decision tho /:

It's a lot easier to quit smoking than to lose weight.....

Tell him OP " I can fix my weight problem, but you can't fix being a douche bag".

Call the police. You being overweight doesn't change the fact that he was breaking the law.

beyondep 6

Yes, because they certainly don't have better things to do than come on down to the bus shelter and tell some guy to put out a cigarette...

Haha that's what I was thinking #35 the cops would laugh in OPs face.

zen1979 16

Since it was a city ordinance and not a criminal offense the proper authorities would probably be By-Law Enforcement, not the police.

Buzzy123 7

It's ok I'm sure he has 90 pounds of tar in his lungs. He won't live long.

tony1891 22

You do know that scientists are not entirely convinced about the so called damage of second hand smoke? I mean, how much fuels from cars do we smoke everyday? If that's ok for our health, how in earth can a little bit of cigarette smoke (that you inhale for five minutes in a bus stop) kills you, let alone damage your health?

So THAT'S why you wear a gas mask DjeePee! To keep the auto exhaust out.

KiddNYC1O 20

Thank goodness for catalytic converters.

43, scientists are totally convinced about the bad effects of second hand smoke. Whilst one bit of exposure at the bus stop won't hurt too much, the laws are in place because if every smoker who fancied a cigarette at the bus stop/restaurant/hospital/school had one, that's a hell of a lot of cigarette smoke pushing up the cancer risk for people who don't even get the fun of the nicotine rush...

bookbrace 6

Second hand smoking is worse for you than smoking the cigarette yourself.

"Second hand smoking is worse for you than smoking the cigarette yourself." Sorry bro, but this is definitely non-scientific bullshit. 199, I believe that second hand smoking only damages your health when you're almost always in it - if your parents smoke 15 cigarettes a day inside the house, for example. But getting damage from a little bit of smoke in plain air? Everytime I smell a cigarette, I move just a couple of feet so I can breath the fresh air again. I simply do not believe that your health can get damaged because of that. And again, what with car fuels? Government isn't really concerned about them, are they? All while we inhale much much much more of them than of cigarettes.

the government isn't concerned about cars? Hmm, I wonder why I have to get emissions tested every year then. and why cars are forced to be more and more fuel efficient and environmentally friendly

While it gets old being treated like a leper because of an addiction I'm fighting hard to beat, that was uncalled for from him. I know it's a bad habit. It doesn't take much effort to be courteous and step away from people so you don't bother them, law or no law.

cigarettes are stress relievers, so no surprise he got so defensive. I'm sure you have a lovely body!

I'm preeeeeeeeetty sure he wouldn't have told OP to lose 90lbs if she/he did not look like they needed to lose that much. It would be kind of weird to tell a normal-sized person that they should lose roughly about/over HALF their entire body weight...

you'd be amazed. when I was a size 8, 150 lb girl people would tell me to loose 50+lbs. At the time I had 5% body fat and worked out 2 hours a day. Some people don't know what 90 lbs looks like. and some people think unless you look like a super model you're fat