By Anonymous - 09/03/2011 09:52 - India

Today, while stuck in a traffic jam, my son silently changed my gear to reverse. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 914
You deserved it 7 112

Same thing different taste

Top comments

lol! the silent treachery of the young...

coconutClaire 1

if your son is too young to understand why he shouldn't do that then he's too young to be sitting in the front seat. ydi

Comments

someindiandude 6

considering this is from India, and > 90% of cars are manual transmission, YDI for driving half clutch. It was a traffic jam, wouldn't your hand be on the gear rod constantly moving from 1st to 2nd and back to 1st based on speed. If you were at a stand still, and pressing the clutch, you do not deserve to be driving.

If you're in a traffic jam and you have a rather tall first gear, you could just leave it in first, even when you're not moving. Save your hand at the expense of your foot. I personally don't do this, I just select neutral all the time, but I know plenty of people who do. As long as the clutch is to the floor, you're not hurting anything. That being said, I think it most likely that the OP had an auto.

samicna 4

wow you taught your kid well! what a loser! hope you broke both his hands

awardZu 0

Did you consider the possibility that there are people out there that drive vehicles with automatic transmissions? If OP was stuck in a traffic jam, her foot was on the break. That's all you need to change gears. Please think your comment through next time, it's less embarrasing for you.

I don't know whether many of the people commenting on this actually know how to drive, but I passed my test recently (manual car) and was taught that when sat in a traffic jam, you should be in 1st gear with the clutch down and the handbrake on, hand on the handbrake so you can bring the clutch up and go when the car in front moves. If the clutch is down you can move the gear stick around. If you bring the clutch up the car will move forward/stall. Why are people saying "YDI" because of what was happening with the clutch?

You don't need to mess with the handbrake unless you're not very good at starting, or you're starting on a steep upward hill and the guy behind you has stopped on your ass. And while you can have your car in gear at a stop (yes, this is what they teach you, but it isn't necessary), you can put it in neutral if you'd like to take a load off your foot. Basically, it boils down to whether you'd rather start 1/10th of a second quicker or have a not-tired leg.

ydi for having your head too far up your ass to notice something happening right next to you. also, your son is hilarious!!

YDI big time OP!! If it was a manual, noone can 'silently' change gears. You can literally hear the sound of the gear changing, more to the fact that your hand would be on the gearstick as another thing. Therefore you just SUCK at driving. Even if it was an automatic, you will feel the car going in to neutral and engaging the reverse gear. So either way, please don't drive.

Bullshit. I have been in several manual cars and as long as you don't grind the gears and have a properly working car it is possible to silently change gears. They don't all make noise. It is also possible to change the gear without the car moving at all. Also, they don't have to keep their hand on the gear stick if the car is not moving. They could have had their hand resting on the e-break or moved it to an arm rest while they waited for traffic to start moving.

Prankster7o7 5

Silently? I don't know about you, but when I change gears I can feel it.

Feeling does not equal hearing something.

Prankster7o7 5

True, but it still doesn't excuse the fact that OP has his head far enough up his ass not to feel it change gears or see the little thing on the dashboard switch to "R."

Prankster7o7 5

True, but it still doesn't excuse the fact that OP has his head so far up his ass that he didn't feel it change gears or to see the little thing on the dashboard switch to "R."

A lot of people can't feel it if they themselves aren't the one who changed the gear. I have never been able to feel it when someone shifts gears for me. I can however feel it when I'm the one to do it. As for seeing the little thing on the dashboard switch to R there is always the possibility that light isn't working. There is also the possibility that they didn't have the dashboard lights on because in some cars you can turn those lights off. I only know that because of done it on accident before in cars I'm unfamiliar with. It also could be that they just couldn't see the R. In the daytime it is sometimes hard to see the lights on a dashboard especially if they are orange or red.

Prankster7o7 5

Well, all the stuff you said may be true, but I drive a F-250, so I feel everything that goes on with that truck. Even when someone else switches gears, hell I'll feel it if you turn the air conditioner on. As for the dashboard thing, everything is ice blue, except for the gear selection, it's a bright orange, so it stands out from everything else, but that's just my vehicle.

you're in India, give him a lol beating. no I didn't say bruise him black and blue

So your elephant backed up? Yep, sounds like your life is f'cked up for all time. Take an enema, you'll feel better.

pokopiko 9

wait, is that a girl or a dude on your profile picture. I'm struggling....