By kubbyp - 03/04/2014 21:22 - Canada - Ottawa

Today, while reading the paper I saw a picture of a guy I really like that I met online. The picture is in the obituaries. No wonder he hasn't called. FML
I agree, your life sucks 51 077
You deserved it 4 063

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Yes, but then again she hardly knew him. Plus, my first choice for sympathy wouldn't be FML.

Comments

itstrishabtw 13

guessing he dropped dead after he saw you ! :) don't worry, I'm sure you'll make another man happy to call you his, good luck OP !

That's ******* mean, you ass. she or he could look like a damn model and you wouldn't know.. you're probably like 300 lbs 30 yrs old living with your parents in their basement. Sooooo, stfu!

I am quite certain they're implying that she is gorgeous... You should get it in a moment...

Ever heard of the expression "drop-dead gorgeous" ? Why don't you shut up

jettybo 6
crazytwinsmom 25

You mean OP is drop dead gorgeous, right?

1jordan1 11

I get it, it's sad, but the OP didn't really lose someone. To me, saying sorry to her for her loss is kind of a slap in the face to those who actually knew him and were a big part of his life. Feel bad, but don't feel bad for her like it was her fiancé or something.

You cannot say that they didn't loose someone. The did. Regardless on what your opinion on online dating, it's still a huge blow to find that out. It is a loss. The OP will never be able to speak to them again. Agreed, there were people who knew him better but that still doesn't mean that they haven't suffered a loss too.

What you're saying: "Don't feel bad for her. Her feelings for this person are absolutely invalid. Because there are people who knew him better. She doesn't deserve any pity, and should suck it up." You disgust me. Let me put this into a more understandable context for you, #18. What you said in other situations sounds like this. "You're happy? Hahaha. No. There are tons of people who're happier than you. Someone probably just held their firstborn for the first time. Paid off their student loans. Got married. You have no right to be happy. YOUR FEELINGS ARE INADEQUATE TO ME."

I think 18 is trying to explain op just recognized a picture of the deceased. While 18 cannot know how op feels, it is a pretty safe bet that op is not going to be too broken up about it. Op sounds, at most, a casual acquaintance from the way this fml is written (recognized the deceased guy's picture, not name). When someone dies fairly young (this is an assumption on my end that op and the deceased are not in their 80s), there are quiet a few (unfortunately) casual acquaintances that will go to see how dramatic the funeral will get. There are also people who will use the funeral to get out of work. They will grab a service folder, sign the register book, and head out. Anyway, I can kind of see where 18 is coming from.

#73 if i was looking at the paper, i would recognise a picture before i recognise a name. the picture stands out more. whose to say she didnt recognise the name? and even if they were just casual acquaintences, OP states that she liked him, so i think she can be a bit more than a little broken up about it.

1jordan1 11

Apparently we live in a world where people are no longer allowed to have their own opinions without being harassed if it doesn't agree with everyone else's. how about we all just grow up.

Yeah that sucks. Sorry for your loss :'( x

I also wonder who clicked 'you deserve it'?

I don't think you understand that term, #25.

yea, but the guy she met online never "grappled" her himself.

yscpunkchick 14

The circumstances under which he passed away have a lot to do with how I feel about this. Did he pass away from an illness or an accident? If so, that sucks and I'm sorry for his family's loss. If he passed away due to his own stupidity (i.e. drug overdose or drunk driving) it still sucks and I still feel bad for the family but you're better off without someone like that to tear your own life apart.

# 29 Wow aren't you judgemental? Because, it is a true and well known fact that people who suffer from drug addictions (or any addictions for that matter) are well balanced, happy people who are just being stupid, right? Hate to burst your righteous bubble but the large majority of hard drug users are people suffering from deep psychological issues, usually triggered by heavy traumas. That said OP, FYL, what an awful way to find out.

Ughhh, I really hate people with views like yours, 45.

# 52 > yeah people who know nothing about the issue and who love judging usually hate opinions like mine :)

Lil_Red777 21

I happen to know a lot about this issue, and let me just say, anyone can get into heavy drugs. I was diagnosed with depression and never once did I think hey let's try some crack today. I know people that had everything in the world going for them and still turned to drugs. It all depends on the person not what's wrong with them.

askullnamedbilly 33

Well I bet you're just a joy to be around, #29. You hear about a person seeing the face of someone they knew in an obituary, with no information whatsoever on how they passed away, and the first thing your mind jumps to is "Well, maybe they deserved to die because X." How on earth did you get from this FML to drugs?

Exactly #64 > my parents were real assholes who bullied my siblings and I physically and emotionnaly. I never used drugs, and I don't drink or smoke. God knows there were many times I could have done with some oblivion though and many times I was tempted too. However, I didn't want to fall in this. I'm still open-minded enough to realise that not everyone react the same way in the face of adversity. It's not weakness or cowardise. Everyone is different and bears pressure differently. When you say "people who have everything", clearly, this is your exterior point of view. People always turn to hard core drugs because they are unhappy or dissatisfied, being from boredom or much worse, victims of traumas. I don't excuse the ones who do that for thrills but let's be honest, they are not the majority. The people I know who suffered from addictions were people who suffered from sexual abuse and/or were beaten as children or people who lost a child. I find that disgusting that someone like #29 would say "well serve them right if they died from overdose". Anyway, this FML is not about drugs so that's my rant over.

Lil_Red777 21

#77 believe it or not some people get into drugs because they think it's cool and fun and want to try it. I had a friend get into heroin just for the simple fact that it was cheaper than the medication that he needed. So when I say they have everything going for them that's not just my opinion that's fact. Thank you and good day.

yscpunkchick 14

I never said "serves them right if it was an overdose" its still a terrible thing and I never said it WAS an od.