By WishIWasADogMinder - 10/12/2015 10:47 - Australia

Today, while making less than minimum wage at McDonalds, I had to dispose of a grown man's soiled underwear that he left on the bathroom floor under a pile of toilet paper. It isn't even the grossest thing I've seen in my six months of employment. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 873
You deserved it 2 517

Same thing different taste

Top comments

How is mcd's paying you less than minimum? When I worked there, it was low pay, but they made sure to follow all minimum wage laws. Sucks when you have days like that.

What was the grossest!? Wait, I dont want to know.

Comments

As a fellow McDonald's employee, I understand you're pain, OP. People can be so nasty. One time, I had to clean up a bathroom stall that had period blood everywhere.

cheshireau 26

If Maccas aren't paying him minimum, he needs to call fair trading.

How is mcd's paying you less than minimum? When I worked there, it was low pay, but they made sure to follow all minimum wage laws. Sucks when you have days like that.

Here in Nova Scotia you can be paued under minimum wage for a 3 month probationary period. You can also be fired for no reason for them. Also, people younger than 16 can work certain jobs, but can be paid less than minimum wage. Maybe OP has a situation similar to that.

I'm not sure what the policy is in Australia, but in Canada, high school students make less than minimum wage.

brittlehorn20 21

A lot of places have a "training period" that has a different minimum wage. I know that where I am the federal minimum for training is about $1 less than federal minimum... However a 6 month training period seems a bit excessive, especially for McDonalds.

Looks like he's from Australia. Maybe their laws are different from the U.S.

#26 - wow... must suck for whatever province you are in. I am from Alberta, started working at 14 and have never been paid less than minimum wage.

I was thinking same about being under 16. When I was there I was under 16 so the minimum wage was lower. But there was still a minimum. The people responding about taxes that does make sense to say your take is under minimum but that doesn't mean you make less than minimum. Taxes are part of life.

poostickles 14

Unless op is doing a traineeship through them, there's no possible way they can be paid under minimum wage in Australia.. Unless they've got a dodgy boss, in which case they would have to back pay everyone who was underpaid

lizzyo17 22

Where I live you can be paid "high school wage" if you are under 18 years old

Queen_of_Night 20

You can be paid lower if you are under 18 in some states in the US I believe. Or if he is registered as a tipped employee.

I too am from Alberta, and when I worked at McDonald's at 15, I made minimum wage from the start. I think it's so dumb to have a minimum wage, and then to have loop holes to avoid it. Minimum wage should be minimum wage. As well, to hear all these people talk about a high school wage, or an under 18 wage, then why are people saying minimum wage shouldn't be bumped to 15$ an hour because minimum wage is meant for younger people?

In Australia you can be paid less for every year you are under 21. It's actually a good system and makes it easy to get a first job when you have no experience cause at 15 or 16 your cheaper than a 30 year old with lots of experience who might have gotten the job instead.

It's a terrible shame that you had to do that. If only they had their address embroidered in the inside, like any normal person, you could've personally retuned the underwear.

It gives me the heebie jeebies to think there are grosser things out there.

everton99 16

How are you making less than minimum wage? That's against the law, unless McDonald's has you listed as a waiter/waitress somehow.

if you make minimum wage, after they take out taxes you're making less then minimum wage.

Taxes are part of being a member of society.

22 no. you still made minimum wage in that circumstance. your wage is what you earn not what you get to spend.

poostickles 14

Tax isn't paid in Australia until you earn over 15k a year

In Australia we don't charge taxes to people making minimum wage. You have to make over $15,000 a year to pay taxes.

Per #80: In Australia, you can legally be paid less than minimum wage when under the age of 21.

This is Australia. Their minimum wage is a lot higher than America's.

#17: I'd gladly take $14.99/ hr @ 40-hr wk :-)

At least you're not working at Chipotle..

blizzy09 10

It's called MINIMUM wage for a reason... You can't make less legally.

uhnevermind 24

The shitty thing is, they CAN earn less if they're underage or if they receive tips. It's technically legal, and a lot of restaurants and chains exploit that to pay their employees less.

No, this is Australia. They don't have "tip wages".

itwasntme14 19

Since when do people at McDonalds get tips?

i used to work at jack and would get tips regularly..if you are a nice person people appreciate it

Per #80: In Australia, you can legally be paid less than minimum wage when under the age of 21.