By burnt - 13/08/2012 04:43 - Australia - Middle Swan

Today, while cooking, I managed to burn my finger. I quickly turned the tap on and ran my finger under cold water, but apparently someone had just used the hot tap, because boiling water flooded out onto my nicely scalded finger. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 138
You deserved it 3 355

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Ahem, scalded* Yes, I did just become one of those people.

Comments

Cold water is bad for a burn anyhow. It causes the skin to freeze, creating frostbite.

There are some people who need to take some burn safety classes or google it. Immediately! It's warm water people.

KiddNYC1O 20

I always run the cold water for a few seconds after running the hot water. I'm considerate =]

hateevryone 14

Why didn't you just put gauze on it? Or Vaseline or Neosporin?

That's a no no! Unless you loosely wrap the gauze to keep the blister from popping or from getting dirt in it if it does pop. It is also just better to leave the burn alone because the pain subsides within a few minutes and putting anything on it may irritate it further. I recently burned my arm. It blistered (2nd degree burn) and the blister got torn open, ouch. I put some A&D on it and a loose bandaid and it was fine. But if you must do anything warm water is the way to go for any first-second degree burns.

LilliPage 17

I've always been told to put hot water on a burn because it helps do something to the heat of the burn. So, in a way, whoever used that hot water before you helped you out a bit.

I've been told, and have done since to always run it under warm to hot water to help it since the nerves are already sensitive. So by running under cold water it will cause the damaged nerves to break and cause it to be worse.

I wasn't aware boiling water can come out of a tap. The more you know.

FYI, running cold water on any burnt part of yourself can actually make it a lot worse.

Came here just to say that, use a bowl of water or a clean rag with ice. Running water just irritates the burn and can make it worse in the long run. Not a lot of people know this, surprisingly.

melrose90210 10

Never run a burn under cold water anyways, it just makes the blister worse