By dino0123 - 12/12/2012 17:51 - United States - Herndon

Today, my very cheap boyfriend of four years proposed. I was overwhelmed with emotion, since he bought such a huge, seemingly-diamond ring. I was later overwhelmed with emotion when my finger turned green. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 445
You deserved it 4 498

Same thing different taste

Top comments

kleider1 9

he might have actually saved up for it and gotten ripped off.

cablemirc 2

your cheap boyfriend is just that, cheap. and you know it, so take it or leave it, he is who he is. did you really expect extravagance?

Comments

Sounds like it must've been a copper ring. From what I hear, copper is a very expensive metal, always being stolen from the electric company. You should feel honored that he bought you such an expensive ring! ;)

It's one thing to be poor and an entirely other thing to be cheap, when you see that you're boyfriend buys all the expensive things for himself and not a proper gift for you that's being cheap, rich people could be cheap as well and poor people could be extremely generous , if you know someone's situation and you notice that he has saved up to buy you something, you feel really appreciated it's not about the money it's about "le geste".

Alright; for one, you (more than likely) understood long before the moment of recieving your ring that your boyfriend is quite cheap. Whether or not there is practical reasoning behind his inability to let go of money is unknown to me. Whether he even has the extra money to spend on an extravaggent ring for you is also unknown to me. My boyfriend isn't very well off when it comes to money; not at all, in fact. And even if he had tons of money to spend on me, does the price of a ring REALLY matter? Does it really matter how "authentic" its stone or metals are? No. What matters is the thought behind the ring, the relationship and future it stands for; the love that holds it together and gives it meaning. Stop being so materialistic. Hell, if my boyfriend proposed to me with a $0.50 ring I'd still be happy and appreciative.

The price of the ring doesn't matter. The fact that he bought his wife a piece of shit and led her to believe it was real does. Would you be happy if your husband bought you a cheap knockoff but pretended to you it was real, or would you rather he was honest to you in the first place?

I agree..grow up. my engagement ring was 40 dollars. its beautiful and exactly what I wanted. its the symbol not the price. plus, the more expensive, the higher chance he has something to hide

the fact that he proposed should make you happy. people seldom know that marriage is the ultimate expression of love. a big nice ring is only a bonus.

And that lovely gesture was spoiled by him lying to her. As many people have her have pointed out, you don't have to bankrupt yourself buying a decent ring. You do have to be a pretty shitty person to buy the cheapest thing you can find, but try to con the woman you want to spend the rest of your life with into believing it's not junk.

Korra_fml 23

I could just be projecting my own feelings onto the situation here, but I don't think the issue here is necessarily how much was spent on the ring. I think the real FML here is the fact that her finger turned green as a result of coming into contact with it. Normally, this may not be a problem, but I for one would be very upset if my engagement or wedding ring caused an allergic reaction on me. a lot of the less allergic metals happen to be the more valuable ones, especially for rings because in the case where the jewelry does not go inside (i.e. piercings) I don't really think surgical steel is too common of a material.

wowyoursmart 1

I don't know why everybody is taking this so seriously. But the one thing that makes all you girls sound stupid is you stating he lied. He proposed, obviously he didn't think she'd care to much if it was fake. Maybe he just doesn't care. But that's his problem, I just laugh when y'all are saying he lied. That's it, he didn't lie she just expected him to spend all of his money on her because she's more important than breathing. Well I guess she was wrong lol

When did Op say she was more important than breathing? This FML doesn't necessarily mean she's high maintenance. I very much doubt that she is because what high maintenance girl lasts 4 years in a relationship with a very cheap guy? I'm not high maintenance, and I don't care much about jewelery, period, but if I was being proposed to, I would hope I'd get a ring that the guy put a little more effort into getting. If she's worth marrying, she deserves a little more than something cheap.

R4inb0wBrit3 13

That doesn't mean it's cheap or fake. It just means there is copper on the surface of the ring. The copper reacts with your skin. Any jeweler will tell you that. Soak your ring in a mixture of household ammonia and water (50/50) for a day or two. The ammonia solution will turn blue as it forms a copper ammonia ion and this wont hurt the ring. After that, your ring will not turn your skin green because the copper has been removed from the surface of it.

Sonotsuave 35

Ahaha sorry this made me laugh. But really, it's true what the people say: maybe he just couldn't afford a nice ring. He still should've thought twice before going to the dollar store, though.