By Anonymous - 17/06/2015 12:14

Today, my pregnant girlfriend and I moved into our first home together, signing a 1-year lease. Less than 12 hours later, we've discovered that the place is infested with cockroaches and we have a mouse. The landlord won't let us out of the contract. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 385
You deserved it 5 244

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You didn't inspect the home before leasing it???

AnOriginalName 19

It's his legal responsibility as a landlord to provide you with a livable situation. Mice and cockroaches ain't a livable situation. Have him bring in an exterminator.

Comments

First and foremost, do some research into tenancy law in your jurisdiction. There may be an out right there. But you'll still need somewhere to stay while you line up a new place. If not, take photos and/or video of the infestation. Attach it to a letter to your landlord requesting the problem be taken care of. Go from there and be ready to get lawyers involved if you have to.

britbrat237 14

You tell that dude whats up. You have a kid on the way and that is not very baby proof.

adelaine782002 17

I don't understand how you all say that he deserved this or it was it his fault? Maybe he did do a walk through of the house before signing the lease. This happened to me twice at two different places. I did do a walk through, did no notice any bugs. But after I moved in they came. I hired exterminator and bombed several times. The landlord refused to help. It got so bad at the first place that we had to move. Three years later and two places later I moved to a three bedroom house owned by a mennonnite, and once again I did a walk through. I was with someone this time. Both of us saw nothing, in fact we didn't see nothing fora couple of days. Slowly, they came around. I called the landlord. He sent an exterminator, but I had to pay. It didn't help! Just made things worse! I still call the landlord, he suggested bombing, I have! they are immune to that crap and the bug spray. The only thing my landlord did was bought me a can of raid. Didn't help either. Everyone on here says moving, well it takes money to do that. I only get disability from a head injury at work a few Yeats ago. I was a corrections officer for five years. Oh, before I forget, the bugs didn't come with me to the house I live in now because I didn't have any bugs at my previous house. We left our stuff outside for a day or so to make sure.?

xluciferx666 21

*sniff sniff* is that a lawsuit I smell?

Check for a loophole and get your way out of it or sue

Adopt a cat! It will catch the mouse and just having one in the house will get rid of cockroaches, no joke!

That'd be considered a health risk wherr i am, if they dont fix it you can legally withold rent or break lease with zero consequences. Hopefully something similar applies to you.

Starfallen08 0

Can't you take it to court. And claim unfit living conditions?

lilchica22001 22

I had that problem with a past landlord. He had a rat infestation and didn't tell me before I moved in. When I found out I begged him to fix it but he refused. So I contacted the city and they threatened to put a lien on his house unless it got fixed since its a liability for the city. I win!

blahblah005 16

with ur gf being pregnant and having mice and cockroaches in your place is a hazard to her pregnancy (sorry im a nurse ) that right there makes the lease null and void if the lanlord won't do anything i'm sure u can call the health board they will do something about it