By Anonymous - 17/06/2015 12:14

Today, my pregnant girlfriend and I moved into our first home together, signing a 1-year lease. Less than 12 hours later, we've discovered that the place is infested with cockroaches and we have a mouse. The landlord won't let us out of the contract. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 385
You deserved it 5 244

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You didn't inspect the home before leasing it???

AnOriginalName 19

It's his legal responsibility as a landlord to provide you with a livable situation. Mice and cockroaches ain't a livable situation. Have him bring in an exterminator.

Comments

this is called acting in bad faith and any judge will let you out of the contract if you bring it to the courts. you can probably also sue the landlord

In Canada there are many legal obligations the landlord must uphold.

Keiajacole 16

Depending upon where you're from check with you're housing authorities. They can either force them to let you out of the contract or fix the problems going on within the house.

Sucks, but easy to fix. Get some sticky pads (sold for catching vermin) and place them around sinks etc, and overnight you will collect lots of stuck bugs. Dispose of the bugs & repeat. You will get them all; took me about a week. Try to seal the entry points where they can get in. No chemicals needed. Good luck.

That happened to my husband and myself. We were able to leave the contract and actually sue the leasing company because they had told us that the apartment would be ready, and it wasn't. Good luck to you, and definitely look into your legal options.

dragoongirl90 34

Why not bug bomb or call and exterminator?

order bifenithrin on line and spray your house. Will kill all your creepy crawlies and a few mouse traps will solve the other!

Angelrose2004 17

I'm sorry, OP. I can totally relate. I was 8 months pregnant when we moved into our current house. Because the house had been vacant for a couple months before we moved in, all the bugs were in hiding. Within 2 months, they all came out. We are now living in a bedbug and roach infested house! I can't afford to hire an exterminator and our douchey landlord refuses to. I feel terrible for our son! FYL majorly!

Diatomaceous earth worked into the carpet and bedframe crevices, and piled around the legs can help with this, along with washing clothes in hot water and storing them in plastic bags. They also sell mattress covers that can seal bedbugs in and away from the bed's occupant. You can get DE from a hardware store either in the gardening supply or the pool supply section. They sell large boxes of it for use in pool filters (?). Pesticides really don't seem to work on bedbugs, and they can live for several months without food (we experimented by keeping one in a ziplock bag and poking it to see if it moved every few weeks). We had to get rid of our upholstered furniture too. Also, glue traps.

Angelrose2004 17

Thank you, Razell! That's very helpful! We have the bedbug cover, but they are still hiding somewhere around the bed... I can't figure out where though! And unfortunately, after putting the cover on the bed, they mostly moved to our couch! :( WORST.BUGS.EVER!!!!

Like I said - they hide in the joints where the bed rails are connected. You could always take the bedframe apart and vacuum it and/or bleach it (maybe?) if that won't ruin the finish. Moving the beds away from walls, curtains and other easy access paths should help as well. Basically set up isolation zones that you know are clean and never let anything from the unclean zones into the clean zones, then gradually expand the clean zones. It sucks, but it's better than getting chewed on. That happened to our couch too. We ended up taking it to the dump (so we didn't inflict the bugs on some other family) and buying a set of patio furniture that could easily be taken outside and sprayed down (with soapy water or bleach or what-have-you) and using that for our living room set. Best of luck.

YourOpinionSucks 22

you're going to have to gather you'd balls for this one (if you're one of those pansy boys). Collect all of the roaches and mice into a big jar and when your landlord comes for his rent, you can hand him the jar and tell him his rent money is in the middle, and if he wants to stop reviving payment in the form of a roach motel, then to do his ******* job.

Angelrose2004 17

Contacting the housing in your area, it depends on the state, bit she is probably required to do something.