By mandy - 01/08/2009 01:51 - Australia

Today, my mum deleted my college research assignment on rape because the subject was too vulgar. I had worked on it for the past month and it was worth 50% of my grade. It's due tomorrow. FML
I agree, your life sucks 70 337
You deserved it 4 581

Same thing different taste

Top comments

TulipLuver 0

That is terrible! I actually think it is great that you wrote your paper on that. It is something that affects people. Believe me. I know.

m3l_fml 0

Your mom must be those strong religious people that believe rape and murder never occurs. Tell her to get out of her shell.

Comments

That's why I always keep backup copies on my flash drive. But yes, you should still be able to recover the file, even if it means paying for a program to do it.

Normally I'm a dick in my comments, but I'll be helpful. There are programs to get files back that have been deleted. Try Smart Undelete. :)

OH MANDY AND YOU CAME AND YOU GAVE WITHOUT TAKING AND I SENT YOU AWAY OH MANDY

Well, this guy lives in Australia. It's somewhere around 7pm there now. Good luck to him recovering it in time to hand it in

It takes days to get an FML posted, dude. This was over long ago. But seriously, as others have suggested, try an undeleter. As long as nothing has been written over it (the possibility of this varies depending on the exact state of your hard drive, and many other factors), you can still get it back. Unless you're on a mac and she used the secure delete; that ensures that the erased data can never be recovered through any means.

if it's on a normal hard disk, you can recover it pretty easily.

A few solutions for the future: (1) Have a separate account on the computer for each user. Don't let your mom near your documents. (2) If your mom won't let you do #1, then look up how to protect a document from being deleted. (3) If you're on a Mac, use your "MobileMe" account to save a copy on iDisk. If you're on a Windows PC, look into online backup services so you can save a copy off your computer. (4) Flash drive backup. (5) Every now and then, e-mail a copy of the document to yourself. That way, you have a backup on the computer in your mail file (in case the Documents folder one gets trashed by mom) and probably a copy still stored on the e-mail server. (6) Force mom to call your teacher to explain what she's done. Your teacher will feel sorry for you (because teachers believe that its their duty to "liberate" intelligent kids from non-academic parents, whom the teachers think of as trailer trash, even though that may be far from the truth), and give you a good grade out of sympathy. He may start speaking to you more slowly, though, and start using smaller words.

@ #38 My face just slammed into a wall o' text. Nice tips though.

Well she's hurting herself more if she pays your tuition.

YDI for writing a research paper on rape.

Also, on a different note, try using a deleted file recovery program.

xmagicgirlxx 0

1. password protect your computer. 2. always back up your files on a flashdrive.