By liberatedwoman - 11/08/2009 14:57 - Oman

Today, my mother sat me down to tell me that since coming home from college, I sounded like "a liberated woman." She was disappointed and disturbed by this, and said that I should stop having strong opinions and ideals because it would make finding a husband for me difficult. FML
I agree, your life sucks 56 095
You deserved it 7 371

Same thing different taste

Top comments

softbonez 0

Tell your mom to shut the **** up and that this isn't the 1950's.

Don't stop being "a liberated woman" everyone should use their brains and being willing to speak in a peaceful manor and have discussions on issues. Besides I would rather date a woman that can tell me that I am wrong and then we can discuss why I am wrong and find common ground. Keep it up, your doing the right thing.

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Not when it comes to backwards ass thinking. Move to another more open minded country the first chance you get. Then when/if you find a man that can appreciate your brains and beauty take him back home to momma and gloat.

I didn't know having sex and giving birth made you an all knowing entity O_O.

The same holds true for men who think they rule the world because they have a penis. What happens when the dick gets cut off? Then you have nothing at all.

Ya my mom thinks I'm fat and I way 160 pounds and I'm 5' 8.5" and all my weight is muscle. Tell me again that moms are always right.

stryker0530 0

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Sir, I'm still trying to figure out what God forsaken back water area you must reside in, because Women's Rights is no joke. Think of all the women in history who have made a difference. Rosa Parks in the Civil Rights Movement, Sandra Day O'Connor in politics, and many, many others. I'm not saying women are superior to men, because my biggest belief is everyone is equal. You have the right to voice your opinion. But the least you could do, especially on a website such as FML where younger adults and adolescents read the stories, is give your views in a better way, and not use such vulgar and impressionable language like "bitches".

half of your post was spelled wrong soooo you may just want to dig a hole and crawl in to it.

enc9242 0

Okay I'm not even going to bother arguing because you're an idiot and not worth it, but did you even get past elementary school? Can you even speak coherent English?

You're an idiot. Please take it somewhere else.

You're an idiot. Take it somewhere else.

Unregistered 0

lol? no i just looked and saw that she took a whole page to post . . . seriously guys there is a life beyond this pointless site and "blogging" maybe open the door and look outside?

I thought your kind died out long, long ago!! =O We should send you to a museum!

Oh I'm sorry, how old are you? How would you know if things were better or worse? Oh wait, that's right you wouldn't. Also think about in WW2 how all the women were in the factories were making the planes. Rosie ring a bell? Nope? Well the war wouldn't have been the same.

whenever i find myself in this situation i just think it could be worse. i could be sarah palin

"You do realize that statistically women have higher IQ's than men?" this actually isn't true. the mean and median IQs are the same for each gender, but women have a tighter distribution. result: the male IQ normal curve stretches out wider, so there's more men at each extreme. this means that the top men are smarter than the top women (but the dumbest men are also dumber than the dumbest women, if that makes you feel any better). source: http://www.reasonforliberty.com/economics/why-women-are-paid-less-than-men.html (see image about 80% down the page)

edit: FML's comment boards are poorly-functioning. at any rate, disclaimer: i haven't read anything else on that site and don't agree with any ******-up shit that may be there

elara15 0

You do realize that's not how you interpret the curve and cannot strictly judge the smart men as being more intelligent than the smart women? Bottom line, it all comes down to individuals, not an arbitrary binary like gender.

Actually, that's exactly how you interpret the curve. You might mean that it relies on the questionable assumption that intelligence can be quantified, and I'll agree with you on that.

PS it's probably divided by sex and not gender, but I wouldn't expect some random survey to take that into account.

Well actually, it is because women couldn't fight. Sure they were allowed into the military by as early as WWII, but were used as nurses or some form of secretaries. They weren't allowed in the front lines with a gun until VERY recently. And it's harder than you think to pretend to be a guy in order to be allowed to fight. For one, they'd quickly figure out the woman during a physical examination by a doctor. So no, we shouldn't bow down to men, since it was them stopping women from fighting and dying for our countries in the first place.

99% of them are trolling, and you fell right into their bait

stupid fml...second time it's messed up for me. grrrr.

If you're smart and educated, who cares? You don't *need* a husband like your mom probably did. You can have one but you won't be dependent on him.

maybe you should hook up with the dad that thinks girls cant mow the lawn...

Everyone here comments like the OP is American/Canadian. She's from OMAN, that IS a common cultural thought process over there. Good for her for being educated but you may need to relocate to get the proper respect that comes with higher education. And everyone else. STOP FEEDING THE DAMN TROLLS! YOU'RE NOT DOING ANYONE A FAVOR! Just vote them down and leave it be!

I like keeping the trolls as pets tho... they love to eat mice, and grass, and run around in the big meadow behind my house. I keep them happy and the thoughtful ones, the interesting smart, witty ones get to stay in my beautiful meadow, where they can chase frogs play tag, even devour other people who don't have a sense of humor, it's the circle of life so just go with the flow buddy Capn

Ah loves yew. OP, I suggest moving, actually. It sounds harsh, but if you want to be yourself, your culture there is most likely going to hold you back. It's great to be cultural and to be into your heritage, but you can't let it tie you down to a set of ways you don't believe in. Because of your area, I can understand where your mother is coming from, but she must realize this isn't the olden days. It's still a olden for her to think you need a husband, too; nobody NEEDS to be married. The fact that you even went to college on your own shows how westernized your part of the world is getting, so she needs to wisen up; there WILL be guys who'll totally dig your opinionated being, even over there, and you don't have to get married anyway. But of course, there will always be those old people who will just complain about how the kids are getting, no matter where you go. "In MY days, you didn't have none of these fanceh REEEMOTE sticks, you just got up and changed ther channel, exceptin' there weren't no channels t'be changed!"

I think that everyone deserves rights not just men but women too, and not just women either. I personally hate feminists. The only type of "woman's rights" I demand is fair treatment. Personally I think many feminists have got it into their heads that they have the right to be treated specially because they are woman. Everyone should have equal rights and be treated equally. Men should be treated no better than women but men's rights should not be taken away because woman feel they should be treated any better than them. I guess this is just an opinion of an anti-feminist woman? :P

letitbe56 0

Any woman who wants fair treatment for women but is against feminism doesn't know what feminism is. Feminism- n. The radical belief that women are people. Or, if you want a real dictionary definition: "the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes" Not sure how that goes against what you said you want.

Well I guess you showed me, huh ? What I really meant is that I can't appreciate the type of women who believe in incorporating their menstrual blood into a giant quilt. Believe me that was a feminist project in my city 8-). I guess I can't "appreciate" these stupid attempts at activism.

letitbe56 0

Ok, I have to agree, that's just gross. It's like how Yoko apparently sent John one of her used tampons as a gift. Unnecessary and a health hazard. But don't discount the whole movement just because bad art gets made in its name.

lmmmr 0

Seriously, leaper, you give women a bad name. You can not claim to "hate" anything when you so clearly don't know the first thing about it.

I'm not giving women a bad name. They already had it long before I came along.

lmmmr 0

Does that mean that no one should get mad at or say anything to upset racist people, because that's just how they were raised? Absolutely not. These people have access to the outside world. They have every opportunity to correct their ignorance, and they choose not to. They should be held responsible.

Leaper don’t let these feminist brainwash you, there was nothing wrong with what you said @34. Their definition of feminism does not apply to modern day western feminist, which is sad to say is not for the fair treatment and equality of both sexes. Feminism started as a movement to gain equal rights for women such as voting, right to own property, ect. I’m happy to say since the turn of the new century women have achieved most to all of the rights, which they set out to accomplish. Any other reasonable/logical rights that do not seem prevalent have been already established, and will come with due time. (At least within western society) But feminism in today’s society is nothing more than a clever movement towards female superiority, it has longed stopped being a fight towards equality for all. I’ll gladly support any girl like #34, because no real woman fighting for true equality for all, would call herself a feminist. Feminism today is just the opposite extreme to male chauvinism, both are equally arrogant narrow minded stand points. And I don’t expect you feminist to agree with a word of what I have to say, but the least you can do is not put down/bury my comment, since all I’ve done is stated my opinion... just another right which you have fought so hard to achieve.

#34 Leaper don’t let these feminist brainwash you, there was nothing wrong with what you said. Their definition of feminism does not apply to modern day western feminist, which is sad to say is not for the fair treatment and equality of both sexes. Feminism started as a movement to gain equal rights for women such as voting, right to own property, ect. I’m happy to say since the turn of the new century women have achieved most to all of the rights, which they set out to accomplish. Any other reasonable/logical rights that do not seem prevalent have been already established, and will come with due time. (At least within western society) But feminism in today’s society is nothing more than a clever movement towards female superiority, it has longed stopped being a fight towards equality for all. I’ll gladly support any girl like #34, because no real woman fighting for true equality for all, would call herself a feminist. Feminism today is just the opposite extreme to male chauvinism, both are equally arrogant narrow minded stand points. And I don’t expect you feminist to agree with a word of what I have to say, but the least you can do is not put down/bury my comment, since all I’ve done is stated my opinion... just another right which you have fought so hard to achieve.

OP your mom is right. as intelligent as most women are, men just see them as cooking, cleaning, and vaginas. if you really are a liberated woman, you will turn out gay 99% of the time.

jahwn 12

Okay, I know lots of heterosexual feminists, you just made shit up.

Hopefully you're not suggesting that we move back to this construction in the past; absolutely not. In fact, we should be more concerned with creating a society that favors equality rather than placing leadership in either gender. These appeals to history make me sick.

elara15 0

Feminism is about equality; any word for "male feminism" would be redundant, as men can and are feminists. I suggest you go back and study your history. Plenty of women contributed to the war effort, as nurses AND soldiers, even if it meant donning male garb. Sybil Luddington did the same thing as Paul Revere, but twice as far and at 16 years of age. Nevermind that it's extremely myopic to judge a country's sole success on its military. Have you ever read Mercy Otis Warren? She was a lot brighter than Thomas Paine.

Unregistered 0

christ we really need an anti-femenist spray they are like freaking hounds you throw a piece of meat "saying woman are only good for 3 things" to something as minor as a joke. and they ******* attack you christ do you femenists have nothing better to do then typing angry replies to people who "dont believe in your cause" jesus your just as bad as the people that were being sexist