By Star_Wars_Lover - 26/04/2016 15:34 - United States - Dallas

Today, my husband got a vasectomy. My mother-in-law is extremely upset that he only gave her one grandson. Guess my other son doesn't count. FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 765
You deserved it 1 659

Same thing different taste

Top comments

XUnluckyAngelX 9

That's kind of rude. But you know what OP? If she decides to be a hag, let her be a hag.

Lighten up OP, you can't force your mother-in-law to love your other son. But, if she's going to do that asshole thing where she covets your son with your husband while ignoring the other child (buying her "real" grandson things, but not buying things for your son, or taking the "real" grandchild on fun trips but leaving your son at home, etc.) then keep BOTH your sons away from her. My actual blood-related grandmother did that shit with my older sister and I, because she was the favorite grandchild. She would take my sister out everywhere and leave me at home every time; she'd buy my sister better presents at Christmas than me-- she'd even buy my sister presents on MY birthday at my birthday party, and give them to her in front of me. That doesn't feel very nice, so don't let her do that sort of thing to your son! >:(

Comments

Since when does FML scrap out half my comment? How rude.

Why shouldn't she be upset? Yeah she's blessed to have at least one nio grandson but I can imagine someone wanting more. And your son is not her grandson, he's your son and your husbands stepfather. You can't force people to form relationships with blood relatives, let alone someone completely unrelated to her.

msmedieval 11

And you can't force people to procreate for your own desires & satisfaction. A decision like that is between the couple themselves & only them. She should feel blessed that she already has a healthy grandchild who she gets to spend time with, and responsible son / daughter-in-law who take proper care of their little family.

You really gross me out. Family does NOT end in blood. You choose your family, and if you're going to choose over trivial things like race, sex, blood, then that says more about you then it does the other person. This woman shouldn't be upset about anything, it isn't her choice what her son does- if she wants another child in her life so bad, she can adopt one. Oh wait, then it wouldn't be related to her, nevermind...

I've never understood this idea. If your child marries someone with children then they have usually accepted at least partial responsibility of those children. My grandma has somehow never made my half-sister (my mom's step-daughter) feel like she wasn't part of the family. Whenever my grandma names off grandkids my sister's name gets thrown in there too.

It makes me incredibly sad to see so many comments asking why they should accept someone not blood related to them. I truly hope no one close to you adopts, I worry for the child if someone does.

Nyattack 14

No no no, you missed the point ; I am 100 % pro adoption, and if people want to treat non blood related people as family I think it's absolutely great ! However, the woman was complaining that her son didn't GIVE her more grandchildren, and she is right in that sense (although this pressure to have kids is ridiculous). Doesn't mean I'd support her ignoring or being mean to OP's child !

Seriously? Because he is part of the family. Do couples who adopt go around saying, "this is the child I legally took guardianship of", or, "this is my son/daughter"? The son is just as much her grandson as the other one is. The only reason he wouldn't be is because she chooses to deny it to be so. If you go around counting and not counting people as part of a family based on their blood then you're pretty shallow.

not everyone considers step kids part of the family, sad truth

I suspect it's the misery loves company mindset. Talk to a recent parent, and they've got bags under their eyes and haven't showered in weeks, but if you insinuate that maybe you don't think the payoff (the noisy, smelly money pit that is a baby) is worth it for you? Apparently your life is a meaningless waste.

I have 2 children from a previous marriage. My husband raises them like his own. His brothers call them their nieces and his mom calls them her granddaughters. We have 1 biological child together and my ex husbands sister calls my daughter with my husband her niece. Thats how it should be. One loving extended family. You can never have enough and its true bitches like this that piss me off.

This sounds like my mother in law. She complains all the time about not having grandkids because 'step grand kids don't count'. (My cats count as her grandkitties though.) It pissed my entire family off because my only niece and nephew are my step sisters kids and they're just as much family without sharing DNA.

My stepmoms grandmother is like that to her half sister (my aunt) and my brother and I. She has never treated us very well only because we are not her blood grand babies. I personally think it doesn't matter. My stepmoms family is the closest thing I have to a true family. My dads family lives far away and my bio mom didn't want anything to do with my brother and I. So my stepmom is my mom in every way except birth. And her family is my family in every way except blood. I get your frustration OP. I am the step-grandchild of a women like your mother-in-law.