By Anonymous - 01/12/2012 05:59 - United States - Saint Louis

Today, my girlfriend accused me of cheating, because I tipped our waitress at dinner. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 645
You deserved it 2 724

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Did you stick your dollars into her cleavage? You know, this isn't a strip-joint. Or maybe you chequed her out just a little too much. Talk about good service! It's dime to face the consequences.

Comments

Sally2dicks21 8

Well, if you aren't whipped... OP: "If that's how you're going to behave, I may as well go give her my number."

This will teach you not to take your girlfriend to Hooters.

nnnope 26

I've been to Hooters with my boyfriend before - several times. We go for the wings. And we tip the waitresses. Just saying.

25, correction: he claims to go for the wings, but we all know its about the thighs

26- it's for the breasts! We all know he goes there for a good clucking.

I've heard of guys going to strip clubs just for the free buffet. I would think the chefs in the back would make everything taste extra salty. :P

Are your tips commensurate to the wing size ? just askin...

nnnope 26

26 & 27: I think I'm suffering from a case of pun overload

Either she's cheating on you and wants to push the guilt off her back onto yours, or she really wants to break up with you.

nnnope 26

So you're saying the waitress didn't deserve a tip because OP's girlfriend is insane??

#18 is probably from a country where the tip isn't an essential part of the waitress' salary. Where I come from, waitresses are paid fairly well, and tips only have symbolic value. You tip her a little if she's done an exceptionally good job. Students normally don't tip at all because they don't have much money, and everyone knows that. I think it's like that in most of northern Europe.

nnnope 26

Except OP lives in Missouri, USA. Sadly the benefit of the doubt can't be applied to 18's comment.

Yes I am serious. Why should I waste my money because the waitress has a cheap employer who only pays her $2.15 an hour or something stupid? It's not my fault that the waiting industry in America is so cheap and twisted. If they don't like the wages, they should get another job. I'm not gonna give my money to make up for the shortfalls of their employer.

I agree with 76, it's stupid that I should have to pay for the employee's wages. That's the employer's job. Also, waiters/waitresses DO make minimum wage, even in America. If they don't make up the difference between their wage and the minimum wage from tips, the employer needs to make up the difference. I'll tip if they do a good job, but I think being expected to tip more than a few dollars is ridiculous.

nnnope 26

76: so I guess you've never even tipped a pizza delivery guy? It's not the waitresses' faults their wage sucks. It's not that hard to leave a $5 tip (if nothing else). If you don't want to "waste your money," go get a $2 frozen TV dinner and shut up. I feel sorry for anyone who's ever waited on you.

nnnope 26

77: the wage of your server does not justify you being a cheap, selfish d-bag. Which is what you are if you order like, a complicated $50 meal, and only tip $3.

I'M the selfish one? I think any waiter who expects $10 just for bringing my food and a drink to my table is being selfish. I don't get paid extra for doing my job, why should they get paid extra for doing theirs? Like I said, it's the EMPLOYER'S responsibility to pay their employees, not mine. Also, I don't see why the price of the meal determines the tip. If I order the $50 lobster it's going to take just as long for them to bring it to my table as it would if I'd ordered something that costs $15. I tip based on the type of service I receive, not how much I spend.

nnnope 26

84: the waiter who couldn't find a better-paying job & basically lives on tips damn well has every right to expect SOMETHING. Generally, it's normal to tip 15-20% of the total. If you can't handle that, go buy & cook your own lobster. Sheesh.

nnnope 26

To put it more simply, if you can afford a $50 meal, you can afford a nice tip (if the service you received was good).

Do you tip the cashier for bagging your groceries? Do you tip the McDonald's employee you puts your order together for you? Those people really need the money too, what makes makes waitresses so damn special that I need to give them an extra $10 in addition to what their employer is giving them?

94, the tips are supposed to make up for him/her only making $2.15/hour. So if you're implying that they make minimum wage PLUS tips, you'd be quite wrong. And many times, the employer does not make up for the difference. So those tips might be what they're living off of. You're entitled to your own opinion, but it doesn't look like you're very informed. And you should probably just cook your own food since you don't respect restaurant employees.

I'm Canadian, I know for a fact that the waiting staff in my country make minimum wage. Some of them make more. Even if they didn't make minimum wage, it's not my fault that their employers is doing something illegal so it shouldn't be my responsibility to make up the difference.

nnnope 26

And now I realize why you think that way. You live in a country where restaurant staff is treated fairly. Stay away from America if you ever want to eat out, buddy. Our waitresses deserve to serve people who actually care enough to leave a decent tip, even though it's no one's fault their job situation is what it is.

The dialogue that goes with a tip is "here's something for your trouble". I will gladly do so for a very nice waitress who adds to the dinner conversation, an above average response time, or someone putting up with me and my fifty friends all ordering shit that isn't on the menu. But I shouldn't have to pay for "trouble" caused by a cheap employer. "This job has no benefeits, less than minimum wage pay, crappy hours, and poor working conditions so you should pay my employee personally as compensation". No, YOU should pay your employee. And as long as we agree that it's our responsibility, people will keep getting exploited like this. It's manipulating your customers with guilt into covering your expenses, and pressuring your workers with an unreliable salary (and like hell they don't hold it against them if they fall short of minimum wage and force THEM to pick up the tab). Mandatory tipping is bullshit.

I am a waitress/bartender and I made around 55k last year so I am happy with my job. It is not a shitty job and most people serve to pay for their college, bills, etc. A lot of places pay servers less than minimum wage because they are receiving tips. They do not live off of their hourly wage, they live off of their tips. You are an asshole.

CaroAurelia 12

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you've never worked in food service. I bet a lot of waiters and waitresses basically live on tips because they don't get paid enough. They sure don't get paid enough to deal with your selfish bullshit.

Your girlfriend seems to be very insecure and jealous. Try to make it clear to her that you are not cheating.

FYL, your girlfriend sounds pretty unreasonable.

And if you had a waiter instead, would she have accused you of secretly being gay?

Msraina 8

My ex-husband was like that. Get out now. Trust me.