By Anonymous - 18/10/2010 05:28 - United States

Today, my fiancé proposed to me. I was really excited until he asked, "Can we go halfsies on the ring?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 126
You deserved it 5 731

Lol_0127 tells us more.

I'm the OP. Let me clarify a few things. He's not suffering finacially. He makes $60,000 a year. I make $20,000. He bought a $3000 ring which was more than enough for me. It's beautiful. I don't want a massive rock. I don't spend all his money. I support myself. We live together. I pay half the rent

Top comments

Wow I am so dumb. When I first read this FML, I thought it meant to half the ring and have half each. I read 5 comments until I realized what it really meant. I am a total failure.

Comments

if he wants her to pay for half the ring then he shouldn't have brought such an expensive ring in the first place. unless you're some kind of gold-digger I'm assuming the fact he proposed to you with a cheap ring or no ring at all would have been way better/romantic/loving than to do it with an expensive ring and as you to pay for half. People seem to misunderstand when people have said 'it's unromantic if he expects you to pay' means 'he should pay himself for the expensive ring'. When in my case it means 'he shouldn't have brought an expensive ring in the first place if he couldn't afford i as a gift'

You dom't know anything about sociology or psychology, do you?

califormula 0

Rings are expensive! We incur all the costs!

Hey, at least he proposed. Be happy about the fact that he loves you, don't get all mad cos he needs financial help paying for your ring.

seriously!! tell him sure, as long as you go in half on child birth :@. what an idiot!

You people are ******* idiots. I don't know if that comment from the OP was a fake or not, but even if with context he is being cheap, or the real FML was that he ruined the moment, all you coment-assholes pre-judging him and being all 'oh, I can't believe he asked you to pay for half of the ring!' are retarded. It's ******* marriage, cretins. It's where the two of you decide that you love each other enough that you want to spend your lives together, that you truly want to be together, that you'll SUPPORT EACH OTHER. And it doesn't ******* matter if they're not married yet. If they're at that place where they've agreed to get married, then they should be pretty much that close anyway, because it's obviously not saying the words 'I do' that make your relationship like that, it's your relationship becoming like that that makes you say 'I do'. And anybody who gives more of a shit about the guy paying for the ******* ring than actually marrying him is too immature for marriage anyway.

Rude much? I'm going to have to assume that you're not married because you don't seem to have a full understanding of how marriage works. He is asking for her hand in marriage. She pays more than her share of their lives together while he makes three times the amount she does. If a man chooses to give an engagement ring when he proposes (because purchasing a ring is his choice), then it's a gift, not an investment for them to both pay for. And though you insult other people for being judgmental, you are incredibly judgmental yourself. So take a moment and look in the mirror before spraying your hypocritical comments all over the place.

Munique 0

Seriously? She's materialistic cos she expects him 2 pay fully 4 d engagement ring? *rollin eyes* U guys make it sound like he's doing her a favour by asking 4 her hand in marriage. Wth. Yeah when they eventually get married,they'l split d bills n shit,but this 1 thing he shd b able 2 do on his own.

Munique 0

If he was "smart" enough 2 ask her 2 split d bill 4 d engagement ring comfortably, y couldn't he think of getting her a less expensive ring n give her justifiable reasons y he can't afford something better. Then maybe they later go pick 1 together.

i think ur a selfish bitch who should just be gratefull u were proposed to...... even tho he obviously could afford the ring

Wow, I hope everyone who buys you presents starts to ask you to pay for half of it. That way we can all start calling you a selfish bitch when you think that's not quite how it goes. And we can say you should be grateful they thought of you at all.