By myl1f3isfuct - 11/07/2013 00:15 - United States

Today, my college English teacher told me if I wanted an explanation for my grade I would have to schedule a conference to come to her office. It's an online class. I took an online class because I can't come in. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 415
You deserved it 4 386

Same thing different taste

Top comments

ThatGuyWhoTalks 10

Add each other on skype and conference call that shit

cottoncandymango 17

Well played by your professor, well played.

Comments

football98_fml 20

someone wants to see you. take advantage, if you know what i mean... ;)

I don't see why she couldn't email you an answer since your work was submitted electronically. She probably doesn't have a valid reason as to why you got the grade you did and said you had to chat in person because she figures you'll be too inconvienced to show. In other words...she's an ass.

Most professors are not allowed to discuss grades over email because of FERPA.

Right. Because professors often arbitrarily assign grades with no rhyme or reason to be an ass...because poor grades don't reflect on their teaching abilities or anything. Furthermore, most credible educational institutes require a second facility member to audit grades papers.

You seem offended; if you are I apologize. I'm so accustomed to incompetent teachers I virtually forgot there are those who actual know what their doing. I just didn't like how OP was being inconvienced and impulsively jumped to that conclusion.

Did he put a troll face in the attachment?

BlueFlatts 20

You've played that game #9? Dirty dirty.

How can an English course be online? Isn't it about SPEAKING the language? Knowing all the grammar and vocab is great but if you don't speak you'll not be able to talk with people. Or do you give oral presentations on skype or what? I'm confused.

It's not about speaking the language if you grew up in an English speaking country (like I think OP did). Then it's not normally about being able to actually speak it.

Koios 30

Learning to speak a language is only relevant if it's a second language. Taking an English class when it's your first language is learning proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling. And I doubt the OP is taking ESL judging by how they wrote.

An "English" course in an English speaking country really means the study of literature and composition, not the study of literally speaking English.

I took a Spanish language course online in my senior year of high school. There was plenty of speaking the language, because I had to call my teacher and send her podcasts all the time. I actually learned more online than I ever had in a classroom setting. Don't knock it 'til you try it.

What about via the internet, shitloads of ways to video chat or if you have a smart phone "facetime" and video calls are pretty common. Just ask Professor Oak, video call legend.

Maybe she didn't realize what she said? Call her and explain the obvious issue to her.

countryrose92 23

Me too. My professors do this all the flipping time. I live 6 hours from campus and they also always have "on campus" extra credit. It's not fair since I do online since I am not on or near campus. One of the reasons online school sucks. Sorry op.

fatalwish 6
graceinsheepwear 33

I went to college at a suburban campus of a city university and they got the bright idea to require everyone to take one course downtown. It was a real pain in the ass.