By Anonymous - 16/02/2014 17:22 - United Kingdom - Cambridge

Today, my boss bitched me out on the sales floor for a good 10 minutes, because I wasn't "smiling the right way" for our customers. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 023
You deserved it 3 913

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Your boss needs to take a chill pill. No worries, keep smiling! Good luck to you :)

Just smile really creepily and say, "May I take your hat, sir?"

Comments

olpally 32

There's a right way to smile? Lol. Okay, he's a crazy ass boss.

That's how my boss is, too. This is my typical work morning: Me: *walks into office literally one minute late* Hello! Sorry about being late. Stoplights got me today. Boss: Why didn't you say "Good morning," instead? What's wrong with you? Are you trying to piss me off? Not to mention you're late! Me: Um...Well, good morning, then. Boss: *hands me a project list* Can you start on this project? I have a meeting in 30 minutes. Oh, the engineer is here and needs help setting up a reaction. Could you help him get started? Me: Alright. *goes to start reaction for engineer* Boss: *comes back 5 minutes later* Hey! What's the problem? You haven't started your project! What am I paying you for? Me: The engineer was confused and- Boss: I don't care! Who's your boss? Who pays you? I'm the one who tells you what you should and shouldn't be doing! All for 10 bucks an hour. Yep, some bosses really are that frustrating/confusing/hypocritical.

Are you not giving a genuine smile? Because sometimes people can tell the difference. Maybe that's what your boss means by "you're not smiling right". They probably want you to want you to be happy and actually smile. At least I hope :)

It sounds like OP is working retail.... Let's be honest, is it even possible to genuinely smile when you're working retail?

It is possible to fake a genuine smile

both the left and right tips much be at least 5mm above the nadir of your lip! and I'm only seeing 3.5! ARE YOU TRYING TO LOOK LIKE YOU'RE ON THE VERGE OF SUICIDE?

I believe in order to smile correctly, widen your eyes, tilt your head, show your teeth, and keep a straight face.

If it was "why so seriousssss???" sort of smile, your boss was right.

Some people, like me, just look creepy when they smile. That's probably what it is. Practice in a mirror at home.

SemiAuto 21

How does one smile the right way?

Well, are you trying to use a smiling method like Arnold in Terminator 2? If so, yeah you need some practice. But it's more likely that your boss is just an idiot.