By HungryStudent - 20/08/2014 18:59 - Puerto Rico - Carolina

Today, my 24-year-old, unemployed brother stole all of my food money and went out with his friends. His punishment from our parents? He has to pay me back when he gets a job. My stomach has to wait. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 000
You deserved it 3 227

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Hopefully your parents can give you some food money... Sorry op

Comments

trellz17 19

Seeing as you live Puerto Rico I can kind of understand the different mindset that your parents have. Different culture, different rules.

Stealing is stealing. You don't take some ones money for food so you can go party with friends. No matter where you are from.

trellz17 19

My comment was about the parents response not the brothers choice to steal.

I love Puerto Rico! When are y'all going to officially join the union? It's been foevs since y'all voted to!

tintaroja 14

Not all Puerto Ricans are like that...

You need to get your money back. That's not right. You shouldn't have to suffer for what your inconsiderate brother does

Tip for future: keep your money on a bank account and withdraw only small amounts each time. If you secure your account and bank card properly, he won't be able to steal all your money.

He's 24, and still gets punished by your parents? What kind of family do you have?!

Dreamsorrow93 24

My 24 year old brother stole my car and crashed it. His punishment ... Nothing.

skittyskatbrat 19

From now on, you don't own him a single present at all :) Just send him a really cheap card and say that you put $10 towards the cost of the car. Birthday, Christmas, Graduation, etc.... Empty, cheap cards and a running tally of what you are owed ;)

myoukei 31

You could have threatened to report him for theft. That would've gotten a response...

skittyskatbrat 19

Time to steal his stuff and pawn it. Then instead of paying you back, he can go get them from the pawn shop. And you can get groceries. Hope they have pawn shops in Puerto Rico...but your brother sounds like a real pain in the ass and it's clear your parents raised him to be that way. In the meantime, show up with a sack and empty out their fridge. Let them know that he can pay them back when he gets a job...or that you can pay them back when HE pays YOU.

Axel5238 29

He can't pawn his brothers stuff. That would be considered stealing and would result in the cops being called. Any reputable pawnshop will not take something that isn't yours to sell.

skittyskatbrat 19

Um...what his brother already did was stealing ;) and if he can't pawn it...just sell it, and get some grocery cash. Fair's fair.

Axel5238 29

I'm aware of that, but it could put the OP in legal trouble with his brother if he calls the cops. The he took some money to go out so I sold his stuff argument won't work with police.

39 - "fair is fair" that's correct. However committing a crime because one was committed against you is not "fair". Calling the police on the brother would be the fair resolution to that problem.

Pawning his stuff, or threatening to pawn his stuff is a good idea. However I think stealing the food from the parents is a horrible idea, it's not like op's parents stole his money. And I understand OP not wanting to call the police. If he calls the cops his bother could get a record and that is something that is stuck with him for the rest of his life and may prevent him from getting a good job. Personally, I would do everything I could to not get the police involved and only use them if I absolutely had to.

59- he's an adult, and he stole. He deserves to face the punishment for his actions, maybe it'll teach him not to steal in future. Besides, he doesn't seem too interested in getting a job anyway.

tintaroja 14

Puerto Rico isn't that different from the states. So, yes, we also have pawn shops and people don't live in indian huts...

OP get him back in your own way... Laxatives in his food, hair removal cream in his shampoo/ shower gel, fake tan him whilst his asleep. Countless things you could do OP. Hope you get your revenge ?

Nyarlothatep 12

I was thinking tanning lotion in his Jergens..

titibug823 11

I've actually done laxatives in food to get back at people. Someone was stealing my pizza from the dormitory hall refrigerator, so I bought powdered laxatives, peeled back the cheese on the pizza that I bought, spread it around in the sauce, then replaced the cheese. I never caught the person doing it, but I do know that no one ever took my pizza again. I say go with that one!

They should take away use of the car, mobile phone etc. something that will make him think twice about doing that again. And your parents should give you money to buy food. Not let you sit and wait and starve till your brother possibly decides to pay you back. Which is highly unlikely. Sorry OP

Wouldn't telling him he owes someone money (that he'll only have to repay once he gets a job) make him refuse to get a job? What are your parents thinking?