By TheNewCashierInTown - 23/05/2016 19:30 - Canada - Gatineau

Today, it was my second day working as a cashier in a drug store. I thought everything went great, but by the end of my shift, my cash register was $10 short. Maybe it wouldn't be that bad if on my first day it hadn't been $30 short. FML
I agree, your life sucks 10 853
You deserved it 3 147

Same thing different taste

Top comments

So either you REALLY suck at your new job, and should be in no position to count/ dispense money whatsoever, or your drawer is short before your day even begins? Are you able to count the drawer yourself before you start. Someone could be pocketing money and using you as the fall guy, being new and all... Either way, be careful.

I would put my money on you being innocent, but it might disappear...

Comments

Is there a set cash amount your cash drawer is supposed to have? Maybe the person who is in charge of bringing the cash drawer back to the set amount is not doing it properly or something. But then again you are new, when I first started my job and I was on front counter I was down $30 but since then my till has been good. A good tip to remember when you're new on the till is to count back change to the customer until you're more confident.

That happened to me once, OP. It was my first ever job, they barely trained me. The guy training literally took two orders in front of me and left me on my own. I needed glasses but didn't have glasses at the time so I couldn't read the cash register. And my anxiety was not yet controlled by medication so I was just overall a wreck. Luckily the women I accidentally gave the $30 to brought it back or I would've been fired.

I work as a cashier in a liquor store. I like that only one person at a time can be on the register that way if money comes up missing then it isn't hard to figure out who did it. When I worked at 7/11 everyone was allowed to use whatever register and there was always money missing. Sometimes it was only like $20 but there was a few times that it was $300 or $400. And that money would be split between everyone that had worked that register that day to pay back from their checks. I ended up quitting because so much money was coming up missing that on payday I still owed them money. A lot of us quit that day except for one person so we know it was her doing it why else would she stay at job that she didn't make any money at?

Don't worry OP. You went from $30 dollars short, to $10 dollars short, that's an improvement, whether people want to speculate that someone else might be stealing. With time, you will be closing out even, but even the best cashiers end up not just short, but over as well. And be very careful for the people asking for change. They give you a $10 dollar bill but claim it was a $100 dollar bill. I met a few people who it happened to.

caseyface1123 15

Double count everything. Sometimes bills get stuck together and you dont realize until it's too late. I know you probably want to move fast, but learn accuracy first and speed will come in time.

Being short isn't as bad as what I did as a cashier about 2 years ago ..,, I dropped the till drawer and was over $20 short ... Dropping the till is like the worst thing you can do as a cashier

At least you cut your losses down by $20. That's a plus at least.

I had this happen to me. It turned out that the manager had been miscounting the night before. Count your drawer in yourself every morning.

I've been a cashier for a year and the most my draw has been under is $2. We are required to make sure our registers are set to $150 every time someone starts one and it records who open the register to instert cash and get change.