By tiredmomma - 21/07/2016 21:30 - United States - Boston

Today, is my one day off for the week. My mother in law is visiting, and has decided we need to rearrange my living room. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 592
You deserved it 995

Same thing different taste

Top comments

The word is NO. Meet it. Use it. Make it your own. You're going to need it with this mother-in-law.

Politely tell her you have prior engagement with a co-worker or boss, idk and just go put with some friends, have a beer, a burger, catch a ball game... If she wants to reaarange the house let her do it on her own!

Comments

Or you can tell her to 'F' off. It's your house and it will be arranged how you like it OP, not how she wants it.

You are an adult and she is a guest in your home. Tell her no. Do something else.

And that's where you say, "No. This is my home and I have my furniture the way I want it. I will take your suggestions into consideration in the event I decide to rearrange my living room in the future, but that will not be happening today." Start polite, but if she persists, tell her in no uncertain terms that this is your house and she will leave your things alone. She can rearrange her own living room when she gets home.

species4872 19

Should've told her to go for her life and then went to bed.

Mooglefox 23

Move a lamp two inches to the left. Job finished.

YDI. I see FML's like these all the time. I don't understand why adults act like children when their parents visit. No need to make up an excuse either, just say "No, not today, this is my only day off and I just want to relax". It's that simple.

Easier said than done but it is your house, tell her you don't want to rearrange it. Repeat that you don't want to, if she keeps pestering you.

Thats absolutely rude, its not her decision IF you need to rearrange anything or WHEN. Show her the comments here.

TheyCallMeDamien 17

Tell her to use a back brace so she won't hurt herself and to send you a picture when she's finished.