By bigdaddy - 16/07/2009 03:53 - United States

Today, I went out to a nice restaurant with my extended family. It was expensive, and when the bill came, I whispered to my brother, "We may need to make this one a Chew and Screw". When the waitress came back to the table, my five year old son decided to ask aloud "What's Chew and Screw?". FML
I agree, your life sucks 9 223
You deserved it 66 555

Same thing different taste

Top comments

heyyou1203 0

YDI for even thinking about "chewing and screwing!" you do realize that the waitress busts her ass to serve pricks like you and that her entire income is from your tip, right? waitresses get paid like, $2 and hour. I HATES people like you when i waitressed, who thought they were entitled to everything but didn't have to pay.

When around kids, never say anything that you don't want repeating!!! Learn for next time

Comments

YDI completely! If you're a regular on this site, or are even around children a lot, which I'm assuming you are, because you have a son, then you should KNOW you don't say certain things in the precense of children. And YDI anyway for even contemplating commiting a huge crime like that. You could have landed in jail, if the bill was expensive as you claimed. Don't go out to fancy/nice restaurants without Having enough money, especially with extended family!

CinnamonGrl 0

I hate the tipping system (although I still do it). Why do I have to pay extra because the restaurants are too cheap to pay their staff liveable wages? It doesn't make any sense. And how did this system of underpaying servers come to be, anyways? Ridiculous.

He was probably just joking because of the huge bill. I doubt he would actually do it, although I don't really know the OP.

You are pure trash. Go to McDonalds and try to feed your family there. Your son will end up being trash just like you.

wrecked47 0

FYL are at 2414 YDI are at 24114 wierd.......

First of all, none of us can assume that OP was or wasn't being serious. However, if they were with their extended family, it seems as if it would be close to impossible to do so. Even 4 people dining and dashing is very difficult to accomplish. I know that not because I've done it but because in college I worked as a waitress and caught even single people trying to "chew and screw"(?). Anyway, that brings me to think that OP was making a joke. Another point of mine is that with experience as a waitress, I can say that in fact, I did get paid around $2 per hour, but since I was serving 4-6 people every hour, even if one person skipped out on the tip for whatever reason, I'd still end up with at least $14 for that hour plus the $2 wage. I'm not saying I liked getting skipped out when it comes to tips, don't get me wrong, but I consider the circumstances and move on. Maybe they didn't have any extra money or maybe I messed something up and they felt I didn't deserve it. Also take into consideration that generally, service in the US is terrible. Dining and dashing, however, is still very much wrong and never turns out positively in either sense. Don't skip out on tips unless service is bad, the food isn't good for the price, or the waiter/waitress is rude (being tired is a different story), or a combination of those. And one more thing- if it's a nice restaurant like OP described, they get a larger tip then I did since the food costs more and 15 percent can end up being like $10 per group of people. The 18 percent gratituity for big groups is because it's harder to wait on groups of several people at one table. The standard for tips is still 15 percent.

YDI for: being immature enough to skip out on a bill, no matter if you're screwing over your server or your family. being dumb enough to say something like that in earshot of a child going to fancy restaurant without making sure you'd have enough to cover the cost/ordering more than you could afford To the OP and everyone else Servers often take those jobs as a means to make some cash while putting themselves through school because the schedules can be flexible, so to all of you that say "they should get an education and get a real job", they're actually going to likely make more than you one day so stfu. I also say to you, without those servers, your lazy asses would have to get your own food and since you're eating at a restaurant, seems you don't want to do that. Also, tips are not required, they are earned by doing a good job and putting up with customers that always think they're right. AND around here, servers either have to pay the bills that customers skip out on or they get fired for letting it happen in the first place. Respect your server and they will respect you (usually lol)

blondiee09 0

thats really horrible of you. I hope you get caught and arrested one of these times

You're a dick, I hope they called the cops.

blackrainbow 0

First of all, if you dine and dash you're an asshole. I have done it before when I was homeless and hungry, but I definitely still felt like an ass doing it. Now I am a serving trying to make my way through college. I get paid $2.15 an hour plus the tips that I earn. If I do my job well and give good service, then I make decent money. Unfortunately people can't afford steak dinners plus tips nowadays, so sometimes I bust my ass and get little to nothing. My bi-weekly checks are usually $60, so yes, tips are VERY necessary! I NEVER tip less than $5 even if the service wasn't so great. How would you like your boss to say, "You aren't doing so well today...I'm going to take $50 out of your paycheck?"