By Anonymous - 20/08/2014 22:14 - Sweden - ?kersberga

Today, I went on my first date in 8 years. While we were looking at the menu, the guy said: "So if you're vegetarian, why're you so fat?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 942
You deserved it 8 242

Same thing different taste

Top comments

seprunner 12

Did you say "Because I eat people who make fun of me." then grab your fork and lick your lips?

Comments

How does that make him right? You can still eat pasta, bread, donuts, chips and lots of other things that don't contain meat and are FULL of carbs.. Nothing was said about being a vegan..

some people have a predisposition to being overweight. my best friend is vegetarian and looks just the same. theres not really a lot she can do to control it. even when eating healthy and working out, she doesn't lose weight

#11 it's a shame I can only downvote you once.

11, how can he be right? He didn't state anything, he asked a question...

Respect101 17

#73, you can actually lose weight if you eat more. If you eat a lot and work out a lot you will lose fat and gain muscle. Because your body is constantly burning fat instead of storing it because it doesn't know when the next time it's going to eat.

Gaining muscle adds weight, but losing fat will cut down girth.

There's a reason he's single, at least you found out early.

And there is reason why that was ops first date in 8 years.

Whys that? Because OP may be larger than what this man usually went for? So what if OP may be "fat", that doesn't mean she doesn't deserve to be happy or go on dates and possibly find herself someone to be with. Someone's size and weight only matters if they're unhealthy. It's no one else's concern or business if someone is fat, skinny, athletic, curvy or whatever else you want to categorise them as. Everyone deserves happiness and their love life shouldn't be based simply on their body shape/size

38 may have meant maybe she has a personality flaw...

Hey #38 you have no idea of what she's been through she may be a single mother raising her kids and only just getting back in the dating game, she might have been putting herself through school or even homeless. Don't judge. Ever.

Doubt ops weight is the reason. Could be first date after a break up from a long relationship.

I judge in the same way you did in your first comment. As far as I know homeless people do not post on FML or go to restaurants. Also, if she put herself through school - she should be proud about ghat, but I do not see how that is related to her being a landwhale or even single mother.

What an asshole. I guess his meat won't be on your diet anytime soon.

This is a good time to go to the bathroom... And never come back lol

Or better yet, just flat out say, "that was incredibly rude and I deserve better," and leave. It's okay to be direct about leaving when someone is being that direct in disrespecting you.

You should have ordered the most expensive things on the menu and then left him to pay for it.

the most expensive things are usually meat...

The most expensive thing is normally fish. Still doable for OP.

juturnaamo 29

I'm going to go pick some fish from my garden right now.

#70 some vegetarians do eat fish for some reason. It's still a meat but some vegetarians think its ok. Just like some vegetarians don't think eating eggs are ok. It's just personal preference.

The ones who eat fish are called pescetarians. Or Catholics during Lent.

Splash your water at him and leave...hope the next one is better...also wouldn't he already know your figure? That's like the first thing you know

I feel like a powder keg is about to go off regarding "fat shaming" and "thin privilege".

YDI for pretending to eat healthy, but then still eating far too much for how much exercise you apparently don't do. It's less about WHAT you eat really...and more about input and output.

No, it's more about what you eat. Being in shape does NOT mean your body is healthy. Healthy food is a bigger part of it than working out. OP might not have lied. Maybe she has some diseases that put extra weight on you or make you seem bigger by swelling, like diverticulitis. I don't see you landing a date anytime soon, because you're being a dick about things.

being a vegetarian certainly isn't the healthiest option but that's probably not even why she is a vegetarian... though eating a million pounds of salad will still make you fat so you actually DO nee workout to have a healthy body

I think he meant if somebody fat wanted to lose weight it is all about burning more calories than you take in, which is true.

How is being a vegetarian "clearly not the healthiest option"? If you do it right, being a vegetarian can be extremely beneficial towards people and can help them fight diseases and also has been shown to lower heart problems. They just need to not become a "junkatarian" or someone who simply takes meat out of their diet and doesn't substitute the protein and iron with anything else.

But who says OP is trying to lose weight? Secondly, we have no idea how big she actually is. People have really warped perceptions of what bodies (especially women's bodies) are supposed to look like. Some people think women like Beyonce are fat. For all we know, she could be perfectly healthy and in shape but still curvy because not everyone can look like a rail thin runway model no matter what they do

I mean.. If you fast for a few months... Bet you won't have much fat to deal with. You'll be dead too, but there won't be much fat left.

Hm I don't think being a vegetarian in itself is the healthiest way. You can still eat a lot of fat through cheese; you can eat a lot of sugar etc... Usually vegetarian people are more conscious about what they eat because they need to check for iron, protein, and because, basically, they chose to eat differently of the majority, so I guess they usually eat healthier than the average person. But I don’t see how not eating any meat – fish makes your diet healthier than just have a balanced diet.

Because as I already stated, it's been proven to have many benefits for people, including lowering the risk of heart disease. Having a balanced diet can equal being a vegetarian. Vegetarians don't have unbalanced diets if they're eating right. And some meat eaters, (most Americans,) don't eat balanced diets.

lennon_ 16

I became a vegetarian to not eat animals I don't care what so ever about losing weight I just didn't want to hurt animals anymore. You're a dick for saying she deserved it.

sashin112792, i didn't say that vegetarian diet can't be a balanced diet, and basically we are saying the same thing if you read carefully. What i said is : - you can have vegetarian balanced or unbalanced diet (and as I stated, i think vegetarian often have more balanced diet than non-vegetarian) - you can also have a non-vegetarian unbalanced or balanced diet. If you have an unbalanced diet, and you just stop eating meat and fish (= becoming a vegetarian) WITHOUT changing all your alimentation, you will still have an unbalanced diet (and you may have more vitamin and iron carences). Eating cheese pizzas and drinking sodas all day long is a vegetarian diet but not a very healthy one, for example.

Dr_Strange 4

How the hell is being a vegetarian "pretending to eat healthy"?

#47: There's a saying: "Lose weight in the kitchen; keep fit in the gym." Diet and exercise go hand-in-hand (from personal experience, I should know). Metabolism-crashing diets and "don't stop 'til you drop" exercise regiments are recipes for disaster. You need both a lower-calorie, nutritional diet and sufficient moderate exercise if you want to see any physiological improvements with your body; having only one or the other has its respective consequences. #87: When the crap did this conversation turn into a shaming of American diets? This FML took place in Sweden, after all.

charlespainting9 1

Although his comment was mean, it's something that you should definitely logically consider. As a personal trainer and avid rock climber, I've learned that everyone I know benefits more from a high protein, veggie and healthy carb diet, than they do from a "no meat" diet. So he does have a point