By dramaqueen15 - 16/10/2015 02:38

Today, I was working out in the gym when a fitness trainer came up to me and said it wasn't safe to be exercising while this far along in a pregnancy. I was too ashamed to tell them that I'm not pregnant, so I went along with it. Time to find a new gym. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 191
You deserved it 4 191

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Why be ashamed? You were in the gym and actively working on yourself? That is reason enough to be proud.

Abhimanyu 14

Don't be ashamed OP. No matter what people say or think about you, just keep going. There will come a day when you'd look hot as hell :)

Comments

I am sorry you were embarrassed like that, but you are doing something about your weight so that is to be applauded. I wouldn't change gyms. If they say anything to you again, just tell them that it is none of their business! I am surprised that no one has pointed out that the trainer was not only mistaken to think the OP was pregnant, but also wrong in the warning to begin with. Unless there are some underlying issues that cause it to be a high risk pregnancy, exercise is not only okay, but also recommended. My OB always told me that I could keep doing whatever I was doing before I got pregnant. Within reason of course! That's why so many women have trouble losing weight after the delivery, gain too much during the pregnancy, etc. In fact, regular exercise can even make the delivery easier! Pregnancy is not an excuse to lay on the couch and eat for two for nine months! I wish that I had been even more active than I was during my pregnancies.

Not only was it rude of them to assume you were pregnant but unless they are your doctor or ob/gyn they are NOT qualified to tell you if you should be exercising while pregnant. Call their supervisor and tell them they are giving medical advice without a license and go workout without fear!

I actually agree with a portion of this post. The guy was being an asshole. There was no reason for him to comment even if OP was pregnant, he commented to make her feel bad. Not once has my doctor told me to stop exercising during my pregnancy, as it helps make delivery easier. I wouldn't switch gyms, but I would give that inconsiderate jerk a piece of my mind.

Unless your doctor says so, it's actually completely safe to continue. I've worked in a gym and seen plenty of ladies come in daily right up until they gave birth. They shouldn't have said that to you and definitely shouldn't have assumed. If it happens again tell 'em to shove it.

making fun of overweight people in gym is same as making fun of sick people in hospital

That's a ******** comment! I agree with the statement itself - he should put it on a sign in the entrance. And no more.

neuronerd 28

Was it a female trainer? I've heard them make snide comments before. Hell, one of my friends is a drop dead gorgeous fitness model, and some of the female trainers at our gym have been absolute bitches to her, under the guise of "helping" (then you overhear them making catty comments to their friends). This trainer was possibly just being awful to feel better about herself, which is way uglier than some extra belly fat.

TAntobella 14

1) I don't see why one should be ashamed of being overweight in the first place. It is not a crime! 2) that's one very shitty personal trainer if she/he can't tell the difference from a pregnant lady and a chubby one. I myself have been mistaken for pregnant a few times, and I have always replied "I'm not pregnant, I'm just fat" looking straight into their eyes to make THEM feel embarrassed for having said something indelicate! Go OP!

Its not you who should be ashamed of its the trainer that judge you wrong!!

Funny how a "professional" trainer said that. They obviously don't know what's they are taking about. Besides the fact you aren't pregnant, you actually CAN work out while pregnant. I worked out before getting pregnant, and continued right up to two days before I went into labor. My OBGYN actually encouraged me to do it!

You have no reason to be ashamed. You are working to make yourself healthy. Also, the trainer is wrong. Pregnant women (I know OP isn't, this is just for info) can exercise as long as they want, provided they have the go ahead from their doctor. I was at the gym until 2 weeks before my first was born. As long as you're safe and careful, it's perfectly ok.