By AnimalWorld - 03/07/2016 16:57 - United States - Honeoye Falls

Today, I was told I couldn't walk across the stage at my graduation because I owe money to lunch services. I owe 14 cents from my freshman year. FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 509
You deserved it 1 735

AnimalWorld tells us more.

Hey everybody, OP here. I just want to clarify a few things. First of all I was able to walk. I went up to the woman who told me I couldn't, handed her a quarter, and told her to keep the change. And for those of you who think I'm just an idiot for not paying, they only made you aware you owe money if you buy a lunch from the school in the last 2 weeks of classes, which I haven't done in 3 years. So no I wasn't aware. AND to make matters worse, if you still have money in your account at the end of the year, you aren't issued a refund. But these 14 cents were somehow a deal breaker. That seems a bit twisted to me. Thanks to everyone who was concerned! I'm an official graduate now!

Top comments

You absolutely need to dispute this. Bring the fourteen cents in all pennies, slap that shit on the counter, and let whoever you need to know that yes, you will be walking across the stage at your graduation, because fourteen ******* cents is not going to get in the way of one of the most priceless moments of your life.

At my school it was book fees from the library. I didn't know a single person who didn't get charged, regardless if you had ever stepped into the library or not.

Comments

You absolutely need to dispute this. Bring the fourteen cents in all pennies, slap that shit on the counter, and let whoever you need to know that yes, you will be walking across the stage at your graduation, because fourteen ******* cents is not going to get in the way of one of the most priceless moments of your life.

Make sure you 'accidentally' give them extra pennies. Then demand a refund check for the difference. Make them spend that 14c on cutting a check or a stamp. Or both. :D

AND make them give you a receipt for the 14 cents

oh no! 14 pennies? this wouldn't even slow them down. if it was $14 then all pennies would be epic.

At my school it was book fees from the library. I didn't know a single person who didn't get charged, regardless if you had ever stepped into the library or not.

I think, even though it's such a small amount of money, you should have been aware of it. I'm sure if they were taking the drastic measure of not letting you on the stage, then they would have told you beforehand to pay the fee.

No one is going to remember that they didn't pay 14 cents for something 3 years ago.

I think he means like the school told him

your belief in the competence of the bureaucracy of a school District is incredibly naive

What? People talk about inflation all the time nowadays, saying stuff like "Back in the day, fourteen cents would get you two candy bars and a loaf of bread." But if fourteen cents can buy you a diploma, then I say "Ha! Inflation is a myth like global warming!"

Well, the joke is on them if they're charging you the 14¢ you owed in 2012 (presumably) four years later. With a cumulative inflation rate of 4.6%, that 14¢ is worth… 15¢ in 2016 dollars! They're basically PAYING you an entire cent to skip the walk!

I have trouble believing they'd take away a high school diploma over 14 cents, which can't buy anything really

So your broke ass can't pay the 14 cents??