By AnimalWorld - 03/07/2016 16:57 - United States - Honeoye Falls

Today, I was told I couldn't walk across the stage at my graduation because I owe money to lunch services. I owe 14 cents from my freshman year. FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 509
You deserved it 1 735

AnimalWorld tells us more.

Hey everybody, OP here. I just want to clarify a few things. First of all I was able to walk. I went up to the woman who told me I couldn't, handed her a quarter, and told her to keep the change. And for those of you who think I'm just an idiot for not paying, they only made you aware you owe money if you buy a lunch from the school in the last 2 weeks of classes, which I haven't done in 3 years. So no I wasn't aware. AND to make matters worse, if you still have money in your account at the end of the year, you aren't issued a refund. But these 14 cents were somehow a deal breaker. That seems a bit twisted to me. Thanks to everyone who was concerned! I'm an official graduate now!

Top comments

You absolutely need to dispute this. Bring the fourteen cents in all pennies, slap that shit on the counter, and let whoever you need to know that yes, you will be walking across the stage at your graduation, because fourteen ******* cents is not going to get in the way of one of the most priceless moments of your life.

At my school it was book fees from the library. I didn't know a single person who didn't get charged, regardless if you had ever stepped into the library or not.

Comments

With the poor quality of school cafeterias, I'd say they can spare you of these 14 cents

Here I am, giving my two cents. Unfortunately, you still owe twelve.

snowmonsterrrr 8

I know right? It's bull, my school also does this. The most ridiculous one was over 2 cents. 2 CENTS. It makes me so mad.

I just graduated in May and my high school was the same way. As ridiculous as it is, what's the point in not paying such a small amount of money? Just look at it this way: if everyone in your class owed 14¢ and no one paid it, it could really add up.

Well, it depends on the size of the class. With 250 students it's 35 dollars if each kid owed 14¢. If 1000 students, it's still just $150

the school makes up for it by selling over priced crap for lunch... unless this was not an American school in which case disregard this

I find it seriously worrying that the schools don't let you know you are owing money till it's too late. My school did the exact same thing over a clarinet repair from 7th grade and I didn't even drop that clarinet once.

The school instruments are usually falling apart anyway. I played clarinet but sometimes I would play bass clarinet and have to use the school's...and if you didn't drop it, I doubt the repair was your fault.

TweetAnne 13

I had like $20 in library fees I paid it all with coins. It'd be easier if at the need of every year they would let students know what they owe.

Most schools do let you know at the end of each year. At least the ones I went to do.

It's kind of ridiculous how they can't pay for it but if your like 20cents short at 7/11 they will be like its cool don't worry about it

Dispute this, OP. Absolutely dispute it. It's such a massive overreaction on their part - don't let it get in the way of walking across that stage. All the best to you.

It's 14 cents. It's not enough money to warrant preventing OP from walking across the stage at graduation. If it was $1000, then maybe they'd have a point.

Did they not tell you earlier that you owe 14 cents for lunch services and to please pay it? Why didn't they tell you sooner that you were short 14 cents? That doesn't make sense. Hopefully you can pay the money and take part in your graduation.