By AnimalWorld - 03/07/2016 16:57 - United States - Honeoye Falls

Today, I was told I couldn't walk across the stage at my graduation because I owe money to lunch services. I owe 14 cents from my freshman year. FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 509
You deserved it 1 735

AnimalWorld tells us more.

Hey everybody, OP here. I just want to clarify a few things. First of all I was able to walk. I went up to the woman who told me I couldn't, handed her a quarter, and told her to keep the change. And for those of you who think I'm just an idiot for not paying, they only made you aware you owe money if you buy a lunch from the school in the last 2 weeks of classes, which I haven't done in 3 years. So no I wasn't aware. AND to make matters worse, if you still have money in your account at the end of the year, you aren't issued a refund. But these 14 cents were somehow a deal breaker. That seems a bit twisted to me. Thanks to everyone who was concerned! I'm an official graduate now!

Top comments

You absolutely need to dispute this. Bring the fourteen cents in all pennies, slap that shit on the counter, and let whoever you need to know that yes, you will be walking across the stage at your graduation, because fourteen ******* cents is not going to get in the way of one of the most priceless moments of your life.

At my school it was book fees from the library. I didn't know a single person who didn't get charged, regardless if you had ever stepped into the library or not.

Comments

I don't know if you just didn't eat lunch for 3 years or what but both of my high schools they would be on your ass, my second hs even mailed you telling you that you owed money the day after, and at that point I had already paid them lol, also I doubt they said you couldn't unless it's literally the day before which even then, my school was still accepting book fee payments the day OF graduation like your school just sucks idek

Hey everybody, OP here. I just want to clarify a few things. First of all I was able to walk. I went up to the woman who told me I couldn't, handed her a quarter, and told her to keep the change. And for those of you who think I'm just an idiot for not paying, they only made you aware you owe money if you buy a lunch from the school in the last 2 weeks of classes, which I haven't done in 3 years. So no I wasn't aware. AND to make matters worse, if you still have money in your account at the end of the year, you aren't issued a refund. But these 14 cents were somehow a deal breaker. That seems a bit twisted to me. Thanks to everyone who was concerned! I'm an official graduate now!

rldostie 19

Wait, so if you had, say, $20 in your account at the end of the year, they won't refund it? Isn't that stealing? How are they getting away with this? Your school sounds like all kinds of shady.

It happens in my school as well. I think they have a limit like if it is above 20$ or something they give you the money back.

it's not very uncommon for schools not to give refunds like that. they don't do that at either high school I've attended, which I think is totally ****** but there's not much that can be done about it unfortunately /:

i totally get you. At my school, you would need to return a book you checked out or pay a fine if you don't return it, but the catch is is that they would still do that to you if you checked out a book your freshmen year, or even in your middle school years! They literally only have seniors a week to figure that out before our graduating ceremony. (Middle & High school on same school campus.) And you couldn't be in debt at all graduating too. I just graduated this year, and I didn't get any money back I had in my lunch account. Plus, I didn't get an award I supposedly received when I had to work during our senior ceremony. School sucks.

They wont issue a refund at my college either. they force you to be part of a meal plan, then wont refund the meals you have left at the end of the semester. it's ridiculous.

Wow, that is all sorts of messed up. Plus, school lunches aren't exactly top quality these days, so they're not even worth the money they cost. Blech. Glad you were able to walk though!

Ms_Monster 6

This happened to me as well. I can't remember the amount, but it was also a trivial amount of less than 20 cents.

Give them a hundred dollar bill and have them give you change chances are they won't have anything over a 20 and no change it would be a hassle on there part

LevelupKid 8

THE ******* SCHOOL SYSTEM IS ALWAYS SO DAMN CHEAP!! They overprice the shit out of everything and milk you dry as long as you attend.

Sandman2015 12

Give them their fourteen cents, tell them where they can deposit them, and walk anyways. Because **** that noise.