By Eternal_Babyface - 08/11/2015 17:14 - United States

Today, I was talking to a friend and bemoaning the fact that my new coworkers keep mixing up my gender. She looked at me critically and said, "Yeah, until you can grow a decent beard, people are going to keep thinking you're an intern or a butch lesbian." FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 762
You deserved it 2 317

Same thing different taste

Top comments

To all the commenters telling him to 'get over it'; if someone called you a woman/man constantly and used he/she to refer to you when you know you are the opposite, you're going to get a bit pissed off, aren't you? Keep your chin up, OP. They'll come around eventually.

Who cares if people mix up your gender. If you're happy with the way you look, I say screw them! If not, change something about yourself and be happy.

Comments

Butch lesbian, thats a new one. How about you just get a decent haircut?

It'll be okay. Go for a new style maybe?

Quendolin 24

How about giving fewer ***** about that?

Who cares if people mix up your gender. If you're happy with the way you look, I say screw them! If not, change something about yourself and be happy.

Apparently he cares cause no straight man wants to look like a woman.

This is horrible advice. Of course he wants people to know what gender he is. And there are often a lot of things we don't like about ourselves that we can't physically change (or at least don't have money too). Op, I'm sorry you're not being recognized as a guy. Maybe you could trying growing some facial hair or scruff, or try a different style of clothes maybe? I hope things work out!

#33, excuse me, but telling someone to try and be confident in themselves and not care about what other people think is horrible advice? Oh please, sit down. If all someone cares about is how they look, then their life is pretty dull and dependent on others.

Have fun with it--keep them guessing for your own personal amusement!

Well, hit on all of girls at your work and prove that you are a lesbian

To all the commenters telling him to 'get over it'; if someone called you a woman/man constantly and used he/she to refer to you when you know you are the opposite, you're going to get a bit pissed off, aren't you? Keep your chin up, OP. They'll come around eventually.

People used to get my gender mixed up all the time when I was younger, it was kinda weird but it's an honest mistake

unless you're trans and then they are usually being assholes

Le_ponderer 14

Maybe change your hairstyle OP; to a distinctly male do that cannot be confused for a lady's. Also try putting on a tie if you work in a corporate setting or an irrefutable masculine casual outfit; if not. This changes your outward appearance as well as your colleagues perception of you.

sylvienoir 18

Women can have any hairstyle that men can. He will be mistaken for his feminine face, I'm sure, not his haircut.

There is no "distinctly male hairstyle". Guys can have long hair just as girls can have short. I, a guy, have long hair (decently longer now than you will see in one of my pictures). It's easy to tell I'm a guy, if you aren't blind. He can have whatever ******* hairstyle he wants. I have long hair because it looks ridiculous headbanging with short hair and I look kind of.. awkward (with short hair). My best friends have extremely long hair - lot longer than mine - and they have the masculinity that you would not find in a woman. tl;dr Hairstyle doesn't mean shit.

Who gives a flying **** about what they think? If you don't feel that anything is wrong with how you look + you're comfortable, then it's alright.

It still isn't very nice when people confuse your genders, used to happen to me when I was younger and I hated it. Was so glad when I started growing facial hair, which luckily for me, was when I was pretty young! :D

Although I agree in theory, #10, it clearly isn't working out in practice. If the OP was comfortable with how he looks, this story wouldn't be on FML—it'd be jokingly told to his mates.